Vertigo Study: Queen of Wands

etal

To me the most striking—and initially puzzling—thing about the Vertigo Queen of Wands is that she’s set within a frame, and in fact she looks out at us (somewhat balefully, I think) from a frame within a frame within a frame—from inside 3, 4, or even 5 frames, if you count the card itself as a frame. And if you take a closer look, you will note that the left side of the inmost frame turns into the fiery Wand that both identifies the suit and suggests Dave McKean’s intent here—he wants us to know just how integral the notion of “framing” is to his overall concept of this particular Wands card:

http://www.area23.org/perdition/reverie/tarot/wands_frameset.html

Which leaves us with the question: Why the prominent frame?

Within the frame, the Queen’s face is itself genderless, the royal crown so rooted in the essence of the one who wears it that it seems to grow out of his/her head.

The face is pale, wan, drained of the color that an inner passion and excitement project into the outer world, a whirling world of painterly expression that fills every available space in the inner frame; the one “good” eye, the right eye, is liquid and clear, awake to every impression that strikes it, while the left eye is obliterated in a swirl of creativity that shoots off the face with tornado-like energy to mesh with the “canvas” that vibrates in every color of the rainbow to the exact edges of the frame.

It’s all this colorful passion and creativity—a potentially stormy mix—that provides a clue as to why Dave McKean has provided this Queen with a frame. He has constructed it, I think, to control the massive output of energy that surrounds the face and to suggest that the Queen’s high level of fiery, colorful exuberance must be channeled or “framed” within a doable project or endeavor in the same way that an artist paints on a canvas of certain dimensions and then puts a frame around it to declare his work complete.

Creativity often struggles against—and then finds itself realized within—given boundaries. It’s these boundaries that I see in Dave McKean’s frame, and I think an understanding of its meaning is essential to our interpretation of the Vertigo Queen of Wands.

HudsonGray

I think, just as you do, that it's the 'box' we all put ourself in about things, living, life..etc. It's the labels we put on ourselves, the limits we even unconsciously set on us -- or have set on us by others.

The frame is heaviest side to side, when we look for a way out we sure don't look up and down, now, do we?

MeeWah

etal said:
To me the most striking—and initially puzzling—thing about the Vertigo Queen of Wands is that she’s set within a frame...from a frame within a frame within a frame—from inside 3, 4, or even 5 frames, if you count the card itself as a frame...the left side of the inmost frame turns into the fiery Wand that both identifies the suit...suggests Dave [McKean]...wants us to know just how integral the notion of “framing” is to his overall concept of this particular Wands card:

http://www.area23.org/perdition/reverie/tarot/wands_frameset.html

Which leaves us with the question: Why the prominent frame?

The intensity of the Wands energy such that in order to even appreciate it, perhaps best to consider it in its concentrated state; "contained" to better see it & understand it. & for those so inclined, peer at it through a magnifying glass to identify its nature.

The box-like construction echos of structure. The need for structure or a framework so that the bearer of the energy may know its pattern & realize to wield it in an organized form & with respect for its power. The latter significant else its passion could just shoot off in any direction including misdirection--potentially dangerous & destructive to the wielder & to whom/that directed.

Within the frames is echoed eternity's shadowbox. Akin to seeing into mirrors facing each other which create an endless stream of doorways into parallel dimensions.

So, too, the actual bounds of the energy infinite; but to appropriately utilize its creativity with inspiration & responsibility, it requires the directed focus & understanding.

etal said:
Within the frame, the Queen’s face is itself genderless, the royal crown so rooted in the essence of the one who wears it that it seems to grow out of his/her head.

Vertigo Queen of Wands is one & the same with the energy represented. Bears the authority of not only one born to the title but as one who enters the world with full knowledge of that authority of the crown. Reminiscent of Athena, who sprang fully grown from the forehead of Zeus, her father apparently in the absence of a mother. As the Goddess of Wisdom, it would be reasonable to expect her to be aligned with Queen of Swords & she may well be. As she is a patron of builders, architects, sculptors, spinners & weavers--the craftsworks of civilization--she seems particularly suited to be identified with Vertigo Queen of Wands.

MeeWah

HudsonGray said:
I think, just as you do, that it's the 'box' we all put ourself in about things, living, life..etc. It's the labels we put on ourselves, the limits we even unconsciously set on us -- or have set on us by others.

The frame is heaviest side to side, when we look for a way out we sure don't look up and down, now, do we?

Claiming the sense of self first rather than relying on the "labels" of others or those we ourselves inadvertently concede or promote. Being comfortable in one's own skin to think within as well as out (of a "box").

Excellent point about the "up and down" avenues. Suggestive of logic & reason; common sense & grounding that tend to be forgotten.