Seven of Cups meaning.

aeonx

Greetings.
I've always had a negative feeling towards this card, not sure howcome. If I get it in a reading, I tend to draw conclusions right away; thinking: Oh my! You got to stop daydreaming. Get your feet down to earth! You can't expect to get anywhere only by thinking about it, you have to act.

It's even worse if it shows up in a love reading. *double-phew* Then I feel that everything's lost and there's not even point in trying further. I am so negative! :p

So, please give me your valuable advice and opinions.

~aeonx~

Aerin

Oh, how interesting. I tend to think of it as an ability to come up with lots of visions and exciting things, together with a caution that you need to take action if they are to come to anything.

So dreams can come to nothing, but not necessarily - depends on other cards and what you do with the information.

My gut reaction to the card in the reading tends towards lots of untapped potential, just waiting to materialise.

Aerin

aeonx

Thanx for your input! :)
So, if I get this card positioned close to the Magician, and maybe even the Fool, great things can happen? If you dare taking the big step, you can melt your creativity/daydreaming with action and then get to where you want?

If you get it in relation to the Knight of Cups, it's like an extra warning that you need to act in order to fulfill your dreams?

For example, I'm just rambling here. :D

~aeonx~

MeeWah

Aeonx: Your take on 7-Cups has validity, as does Aerin's.
Ditto for the combinations, but it depends...
The Magician & 7-Cups could mean all talk & no action; a con artist who preys on the emotions, & so on. 7-Cups & The Magician could mean following up appropriately & achieving something of merit.
The Fool & 7-Cups could mean a foolish investment. 7-Cups & The Fool could mean a developing situation or understanding.
Knight-Cups & 7-Cups would be similar to The Magician & 7-Cups; ditto for 7-Cups & Knight-Cups with 7-Cups & The Magician.
It is best to consider the entire throw as other cards may provide some modifying factors & the positions of the cards in question would also influence the interpretatins.

Thirteen

The card can, indeed, mean daydreaming, but it could also mean seeing too many possiblities--some of them unrealistic, some real. The idea here isn't to stop dreaming or get real, so much as focus and research and know what's possible. I like to think of the girl with the egg-basket story for this card (which is how I would veiw this card if I got it with the Fool)--you know, the "don't put all your eggs in one basket" tale--where the egg-girl daydreams of how she'll sell all the eggs in her basket for lots of money, and then she'll buy a beautiful dress with the money, and then a handsome young man will see her in the dress and marry her....etc. Until she trips and breaks the eggs. A tragically ironic tale but apt.

So, in a love spread, 7/c doesn't mean that you're dreaming and nothing is real. What it means is that you're spinning out too many possibilities too early. You went on one date and you're already envisioning the wedding gown, as well as the depressing arguments you're going to have with your parents when you introduce them to this guy, as well as fears of him cheating on you with your best friend, etc. 7-cups simply says--most of these are visions, imagination. Keep them in perspective; try to find the ones with real possiblity and focus on those. Like working out what you're going to say when you call this guy tomorrow morning. Or where to go on the next date. That kind of thing.

With the Magician--as MeeWah said. This is the guy who reads your screenplay and says, "I see a big budget blockbuster here!" and fills your head with dreams of a red-carpet movie with tons of A-list stars, a big name director, and lots of money coming your way so you can buy a house in Beverly Hills. He talks big, gives you big dreams, but you can't trust him. It's mostly smoke. Smile and remember that nothing's true until you've cashed the check.

Does that help?

aeonx

MeeWah and Thirteen: thank you for your help, this really cleared things up! I'm looking forward to meeting the 7 of Cups again now. :D It's interesting the way interpretations change meaning after how the cards are situated.

Does the cards preceding others have the strongest influence? I'm thinking of the combinations with the 7 of Cups and the Magician. :)

~aeonx~

MeeWah

Aeonx: Preceding cards do not always have the strongest influence. Again, it would depend on the particular throw & other cards.
7-Cups & The Magician may refer using the imagination to create a reality; exploring diverse options & arriving at a logical, concrete solution. Or suggest a need to be focussed in order to achieve a goal. & so on.
If it is negatively aspected or there is some other element involved, then the combination could be seen as "reversed" or a referring to a delay in same.
It helps to know the basic concepts of the cards & the meanings of numbers in order to extrapolate possible meanings. Lastly (but certainly not the least of the factors to be taken into consideration), knowing when to rely on the intuition. The cards do not always have the same or the usual meanings & can produce different, even apparently off-the-wall associations.

Mermaid

I've got a question that involves this card too . . . (I'm not trying to steal your thread, Aeonx, so feel free to move this question somewhere else if it's in an awkward place!)

My boyfriend has just got a copy of the Thoth to work with. I haven't seen the deck before, so I had a good look at it the other day. I found that although most of the minor arcana seem to have *similar* meanings to those in the RW deck that I use, there's a couple of cards that are really quite different. These are the two that I can remember right now...

In the Thoth deck, the title of the 7 of Cups is Debauch, which I think means something along the lines of over-indulgence. Whereas, in the RW I would read it to mean something along the line of many choices, ideas or opportunities - maybe too many.

Also, the 8 of Cups is titled Indolence. Which means something along the lines of habitual laziness, & doesn't seem exactly compatible with the RW card that shows someone starting a journey or pilgrimmage by moonlight.

Is there someone out there who knows about the Thoth who can throw some light on this for me? Did Crowley deliberately decide to give some of his cards entirely different meanings from the RW, & if so what were his reasons for doing so? Or is there something here I'm missing? :confused:

Blessings -

Kaz

in the thoth deck all sevens show the "weakness" of the suit.
the idea behind it is that sevens are in netzach, netzach is related to venus and to earth, and that is causing this weakness.
the seven of cups is showing the imbalance in the element of water.
the eights you find in hod, on the other side of the tree, same "level" , here as well you have the imbalance, but not so bad as with the sevens.

maybe somebody else can explain this better than me......

kaz

jade

the seven of cups can represent having too many dreams but it can also represent that you need to dream. you need to allow yourself to break free from being too focused on one goal and allow the possibility of other opportunities to come into your mind and dreams.

in light,
jade :D