The Astrology of the Natural Year

Minderwiz

On October 23rd the Sun moves into Scorpio and with it comes our new ‘Study Group’ on Astrology. As a prelude, I am starting a thread on the natural basis of Astrology. At first I thought I would try to put all the essentials into one post but it’s clear that this would be overlong. So I’m starting with the very basic ideas. Hopefully others will ask questions and with replies the thread will grow.

The basic idea I want to get across is the close link between Astrology and the seasons of the year. Astrology traces its history back to around 3000 BC, it developed and remained in a world that was essentially agricultural in nature and where the ability to predict seasonal and natural change literally meant the difference between life and death.

Many Astrologers see Astrology functioning through the Law of Correspondences, ‘As above so below, As within so without, As the universe so the soul’ Astrology therefore takes a geocentric approach to life, that is it treats the Earth as the centre of life and the heavens as surrounding the Earth.

The natural year is based on the Sun’s apparent circular movement around the Earth – the ecliptic. This movement can be measured by charting the Sun’s position against the backdrop of Stars. From the earliest times groups or constellations of these stars were thought to represent ‘pictures’ of animals, gods, heroes, etc, so the Sun was seen as moving from one constellation to another.

The Sun’s travel is called it through only twelve of these constellations that are considered Astrologically and they lie on a band around six to eight degrees north and south of the ecliptic (from an Earth point of view). As the Earth is tilted on its axis, the ecliptic is at an angle to the Earth’s equator and this accounts for the change in seasons.

The natural year begins when the Sun crosses the equator from South to North. The point of crossing is the Vernal or Spring equinox – equal day and night. When Astrology developed this equinox was seen against the backdrop of the Constellation Aries. So Aries became the first sign of the new year. The Sun gradually moves northwards, passing through the signs of Taurus and Gemini till it reaches the Tropic of Cancer. This is its most northerly point and is the Summer Solstice – the Sun appears to stop and then begin to move back southwards. The Summer Solstice marks the beginning of the sign of Cancer and at this solstice we have the longest hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere.

The Sun then continues to move back towards the South, passing through the signs of Leo and Virgo till it again reaches the equator at the Autumn equinox. Again there is equal day and night and this equinox marks the beginning of the sign of Libra. The Sun now moves into the Southern hemisphere and the days grow shorter and nights longer. The Sun passes through Scorpio and Sagittarius till it reaches the Tropic of Capricorn at the Winter Solstice. At this solstice the northern hemisphere experiences its shortest hours of daylight. Again this solstice marks the beginning of the sign of Capricorn and the depths of Winter. As with the Summer solstice this is a stopping point – the Sun moves no further southwards and begins to move in a northerly direction. Passing through the signs of Aquarius and Pisces it reaches the Equator again at the Vernal Equinox and the start of a new year.

The two equinoxes and the two solstices make up the four cardinal points of the Sun’s travel and Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn are the four cardinal signs of the Zodiac.

Four signs, Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces indicated that the change of season was not far off and these are the mutable or changeable signs. The remaining four signs showed that the season was well established, Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius.

This is a very brief description of the natural year and makes a number of assumptions that are not fully dealt with. So if there are any questions I’ll try and answer them. Otherwise I’ll look at related issues such as Moon cycles and Sun cycles and also explain the so called Tropical Zodiac used by Western Astrologers.

Sulis

Ooh thanks Minderwiz. I know so little about astrology and wish I knew more. I`m going to be reading the posts of this study group with great interest. You never know, one day I may even join in.

Love and light

Crystalmynx xx

Minderwiz

Thanks Crystalmynx

Don't be afraid to ask questions though - even if you think they are silly. I've often found that 'silly' questions can be very helpful in the learning process.

(Not that Wiganers could ever be silly :)

Minderwiz

Sulis

You can usually count on me for silly questions.

Crystalmynx xx

Minderwiz

In the first post I mentioned that Western Astrologers use something called the Tropical Zodiac. This is not a Zodiac with palm trees and exotic islands but one that defines the Cardinal points in terms of the two equinoxes and the two Solstice points. The Tropic of Cancer marks the furthest north the Sun travels, the Tropic of Capricorn is the furthest South the Sun travels. The moment of the Spring equinox is defined as the first degree of Aries and thirty degrees later comes the first degree of Taurus and so on.

Around four thousand years ago the Spring equinox actually took place as with the Sun in the constellation of Aries. However the Sun completes one circuit of the Zodiac in ever so slightly over a year. Thus one year to the second after the Sun left the first degree of Aries it has not yet returned to the exact degree of a the previous year. The Spring equinox thus actually occurs very slightly earlier than the previous year, in terms of the zodiac revolution.

During a human lifetime or indeed a few centuries this doesn’t matter much. Over two thousand years it does make a difference – the Vernal equinox will shift backwards by a whole sign. Thus around the third century AD the vernal equinox actually occurred in Pisces. Sometime in the next two or three centuries it will occur in Aquarius. These periods are sometimes referred to as Ages so we are currently in the Age of Pisces and in the future we will move into the Age of Aquarius (pause for song J ) Over 26,000 Years the Vernal equinox will pass through each sign in turn, moving backwards through the zodiac till it returns to the first degree of Aries – this is called a Great Year.

This phenomenon is technically referred to as the ‘precession of the equinoxes’ – from the verb precede or come before (last year’s equinox). Astrologers in India and some other countries do not use the Tropical Zodiac – they keep to the actual constellations that the Sun is in. This is called the Sidereal Zodiac. If you consult a Vedic (Indian) Astrologer you will probably be told that your Sun sign is actually the one before you think it is. The current discrepancy is around 24 degrees. So only if you were born in the last six degrees of the sign will you still have the same Sun sign under both zodiacs.

Which is the correct zodiac – both of them! You may well get the same sort of reading from a Vedic Astrologer as a Western Astrologer though it may be more spiritually oriented. As with Tarot, the reader is giving meaning to patterns and relationships. So long as the reader is consistent and applies their rules consistently (or at least modifies them in an orderly and thought out manner) then they are likely to come to similar conclusions as a reader using other systems, though the emphasis may be differently placed.

I use the Tropical zodiac and the Study Group will largely be doing the same, as it is the one in common use in the West. However if anyone wishes to contribute using Vedic systems they will be extremely welcome to do so – it is good to see other approaches in action.

Minderwiz

isthmus nekoi

Thanks so much for the post, Minderwiz! So that explains the whole age of x business.... I'm going to touch on Samhain/Halloween in relation to Scorpio so this sets up a good context. There's also an article about tarot and the equinoxes/solstices in my Llewyn (sp! sorry) calendar so maybe I'll tie that in too.

Minderwiz

Thats good - I might add a bit more on Cardinal, Fixed and Mutable signs as we go - there are natural forces at work in each quadruplicity and an understanding of these certainly helps an aprpreciation of the energies involved.

Hope your paper goes well!

Minderwiz