3 of Cups

Knight of Wands

I'm a bit bored, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on this card, who knows, it may help someone!

Firstly, I note the numerology aspects of this card. The Three, like a couple coming together to create a baby, or two partners coming together to create a business suggests that something is being made, created. In this, especially with Cups, it is sometimes suggestive of pregnancy.

This is enhanced by its Relationship with The Empress, a card suggesting love and creativity, as well as the archetype of the Great Mother. Again we see an inclication of preganancy.

Cups are indicative of emotions and feelings, together with the Three, I see perhaps the start of a new relationship. The two people who met in the previous card have come together to create a relationship.

In the RWS, this card is suggestive of friendship and the joy that accompanies spending time with those you love. The figures dance joyfully, grapes above their heads, indicative of wine.

It is a card suggestive of partying, of celebration.

The women are together, leaning on each other for support, and possibly advice. Could it be suggesting to join a community group? Or if you have a problem, that the old saying, a problem shared is a problem halfed. Perhaps even groups like AA, where people help you and support you, and you do the same in return.

Some more negative aspects of this are excessive partying, excessive drinking, even drug taking. Here, the AA suggestion seems paticulary apt. It can suggest people spending too much time having fun, too much partying. Too much play, not enough work.

I have also seen it to suggest love triangles in some readings, although this of course would be down to the Reader to determine.

I also see perhaps relying too much on others, relying too much on your friends and being afraid to break out of the circle and go at it alone. Your friends can't support you forever.

Any other thoughts welcome... :D

star-lover

lovely thoughts there on this card - interesting what you said about being more self sufficient and not leaning on your friends/support circle too much - there was a deck, cant remember which one now, the 3 of cups is a woman alone with a crow - this is what you are getting at i think - she seems content in her own skin/supporting herself i guess - we have 3 - the person, their problems and just maybe the 3rd element is the higher self protecting/supporting/guiding you? invisible but always there and all you have to do is meditate/raise consciousness/be still a bit to hear it?

to go back to the rws

well they are merry and slightly tipsy lol as you would expect from 3 glasses of wine (each rofl) - any more and they would soon be falling flat into the 4 of cups LOL - just occured to me that too much of one card can lead to the negatives of the next card if you see what I mean

too much woe is me and grass is greener and not counting blessings in the 4 could lead to regretting ones actions and leading to a 5 result

too much being down and being truly sorry / bit introspective can conversely lead one to do / say something which leads to the happiness of the making up in the 6 of cups

etc etc

thats as sensible a post i can make on one glass of wine, so consider yourself spared of more inane ramblings

drink and be merry and celebrate the good things and people you have been given in life i guess

xx

Knight of Wands

Thanks for replying star-lover :D

That deck sounds very interesting! :D

And, what you said about each card leading on to each other, that's very interesting and I'll def keep it in mind :D

Thanks!

firecatpickles

Yes, there is a bit of the "poor me, poor me, pour me another drink" in this card. If one dwells on the emotions too much, then one may be in danger of letting the emotions grow out of control. There needs to be a balance present, as in the balance of the four that should naturally come along.

K:spade:K

star-lover

can you explain what this balance of the 4 is KK?

the 4 of cups i havent got my head around still.....so many describe it as stagnation, boredom, too much of a good thing and being fed up - i thought balance was about the 6s

firecatpickles

4 is the number of stability like in the corners or walls of a room.

KK

Anja

Knight of Wands said:
I also see perhaps relying too much on others, relying too much on your friends and being afraid to break out of the circle and go at it alone. Your friends can't support you forever.

This explanation totally makes sense to me. I have gotten this card in readings and it never meshed with the other cards, but this interpretation totally makes sense.

What about a family interfering too much, to the point of being suffocating? Being afraid to stand up to them?

Grigori

star-lover said:
there was a deck, cant remember which one now, the 3 of cups is a woman alone with a crow - this is what you are getting at i think - she seems content in her own skin/supporting herself i guess -

Thats the three of Cups from the Archeon deck. I like your interpretation Star-Lover. Its a card that never reflected the more usual RWS meaning to me. It seems such a still and cool image, quite lonely even. In contrast I usually see the 3 of Cups and very movement oriented, even spinning outwards in a circle, rather warm and of course social. Whenever I look at the Archeon card I always wonder where all her friends went, and what she did to be alone with only a crow to talk to? :(

If I was designing a deck, my 3 of Cups would be 3 little girls laughing and playing that game where you hold hands tightly and run around and around in a circle so fast you start spinning off the ground. That what the 3 of Cups feels like to me (but I am not a little girl, and I don't have pigtails or freckles :D)

The Three of Cups is traditionally Mercury in Cancer, so I always see it as a way to communicate with those that care for you. Very easy fluid conversations, that are supporting also. Makes me feel more sad for the lady who only has a crow to care about her.

I'm depressed now... Can I share your bottle of red Star-Lover? :D