4 of swords as workplace

Anastacia

Hi,

Have been puzzling over this for a while. Often when I do a spread about my current workplace the 4 of swords comes up to represent it. I thought it just had something to do with me, but then I remembered that it also came up as the first card in a Celtic Cross spread I did for my boss.

I was thinking that maybe it is because it is a pharmacy (all those sick people), but for a while I was working in 2 different pharmacies and 4 of swords only ever came up to represent the first one.

Would love any input that anyone could contribute, and maybe if anyone can think of a specific spread to help me understand it, please point me in the right direction.

Thirteen

I was thinking that maybe it is because it is a pharmacy (all those sick people), but for a while I was working in 2 different pharmacies and 4 of swords only ever came up to represent the first one.
There are pharmacies and there are pharmacies. I can go to the one in my neighborhood, for example, pharmacists pretty much know everyone who comes in by name and will chat with them, explaining the pills to them, etc. where health nuts purchase vitamins and energy powders and parents take their kids for vaccinations, or to get ice cream. Though sick people are there waiting for the medicines, the place doesn't feel like the customers are trying to recuperate or like those on the job are just handing out medications.

I can go to a different pharmacy--one I recall in a hospital, for example, where every single person there was sitting, waiting for their pills. No health nuts, no kids, and the pharmacists didn't chat up anyone, they just called their name and gave them their pills. Pretty depressing. Everyone looked like they were tired and brain-dead, even the pharmacists.

4/Swords can indicate a nice place where one feel like resting and recuperating--but it could also indicate a place you go to because you feel brain dead; you can't think or talk and you don't want to. Does your workplace seem this way to you?

Aset

The pharmacy that you worked at that came up as the 4 of swords, was it a positive or a negative working environment? First thing that popped into my mind when I saw the title and before reading the content of your post was that it would be a healing place. It coming up for only the one pharmacy has me thinking that perhaps it has to do with the quality of your work relationships at that pharmacy? I tend to view the 4 of swords as being positive, it's one of my favorites, so my personal reaction would be to view the workplace being represented by the 4os as being a positive one.

Just another thought - what were the circumstances leading up to your employment there? The 4os is usually respite/retreat after a difficult time, so I could also see it as the job itself being a relief after, say, not being able to find a job for a very long time, or coming from another work environment that was a very bad experience.

Anastacia

There are pharmacies and there are pharmacies. I can go to the one in my neighborhood, for example, pharmacists pretty much know everyone who comes in by name and will chat with them, explaining the pills to them, etc. where health nuts purchase vitamins and energy powders and parents take their kids for vaccinations, or to get ice cream. Though sick people are there waiting for the medicines, the place doesn't feel like the customers are trying to recuperate or like those on the job are just handing out medications.

I can go to a different pharmacy--one I recall in a hospital, for example, where every single person there was sitting, waiting for their pills. No health nuts, no kids, and the pharmacists didn't chat up anyone, they just called their name and gave them their pills. Pretty depressing. Everyone looked like they were tired and brain-dead, even the pharmacists.

4/Swords can indicate a nice place where one feel like resting and recuperating--but it could also indicate a place you go to because you feel brain dead; you can't think or talk and you don't want to. Does your workplace seem this way to you?

The pharmacy is in a busy shopping centre - it's large and busy like the first one that you describe - only we don't do vaccinations or icecreams. I'm in charge of the health nut aisle - underpaid and overworked - I often feel like just shutting down by the end of the day, and don't have much energy spare for the evenings. While I have to be constantly thinking on my feet and there is a lot of variety, there is also a lot of wearing repitition, the same questions, over and over, sometimes I feel like a tape recorder with a replay button - the brain goes, not exactly dead, but certainly into a deep sleep. The relationships with other staff members are very nurturing. OK it all sounds applicable to 4 of swords, but it is equally applicable to the other pharmacy which is less than half the size and on the other side of the same shopping centre. That Pharmacy used to get the 4 of wands.

Anastacia

The pharmacy that you worked at that came up as the 4 of swords, was it a positive or a negative working environment? First thing that popped into my mind when I saw the title and before reading the content of your post was that it would be a healing place. It coming up for only the one pharmacy has me thinking that perhaps it has to do with the quality of your work relationships at that pharmacy? I tend to view the 4 of swords as being positive, it's one of my favorites, so my personal reaction would be to view the workplace being represented by the 4os as being a positive one.
Interesting - I haven't really noticed that positive side of resting and recuperating.
Initially I noticed the 4 of swords as representing Pharmacy A when I was transferred to work some of my hours at Pharmacy B (they're under the same ownership). I wan't that happy about the transfer, and I thought that had something to do with the 4 of Swords in the spreads. In the long run both have provided a mostly positive (a few negatives) working environment. But now I'm back working all my hours at pharmcy A - my situation has changed, but the card hasn't.

Just another thought - what were the circumstances leading up to your employment there? The 4os is usually respite/retreat after a difficult time, so I could also see it as the job itself being a relief after, say, not being able to find a job for a very long time, or coming from another work environment that was a very bad experience.
This is applicable - it was a difficult time before. And now I remember that 4 of swords was coming up a lot as I was trying to work out what to do. It does have a sense of safety and job security while I study to get ready for my next career.
But, having said that, I've yet to find the key to the uniqueness of why this pharmacy is 4 of swords and the other one is 4 of wands.

PAMUYA

I have always seen the four of Swords as a time to rest, but it is only temporary, like being in the eye of the storm. Everything around you is in chaos, yet you may be calm. This isn't not a place where I would want to remain for long, I would rather weather the storm and find a more perminate more peaceful setting. Meaning you have a job, that is good these days, but it is not what will mike you happy in the long run, that storm is always around you.

Anastacia

I have always seen the four of Swords as a time to rest, but it is only temporary, like being in the eye of the storm. Everything around you is in chaos, yet you may be calm. This isn't not a place where I would want to remain for long, I would rather weather the storm and find a more perminate more peaceful setting. Meaning you have a job, that is good these days, but it is not what will mike you happy in the long run, that storm is always around you.
Pamuya,
that's really funny when I think about my workplace - chaos all around with some incredibly calming nurturing wokmates who create that eye of the storm effect. You're right, it's not a job with longterm happiness prospects, there are constant obvious issues that never get resolved - they get brought up and I think they're being worked on only to find they've just been put to bed for a while and will resurface a month or 2 later. It suits me at the moment as a stable income while I'm studying so I can change direction.