5 of Cups

Cinnia

I was wondering if the 5 of Cups could ever be positive? One of the questions in this spread I used included a person's wants of a type of relationship they're looking for. Since it was a 5 of Cups, I was thinking maybe they don't want a relationship? Then again with the 5 of Cups, I always remember that they still have some of their cups in tact so not all is lost.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

prncessjamie

I was wondering if the 5 of Cups could ever be positive? One of the questions in this spread I used included a person's wants of a type of relationship they're looking for. Since it was a 5 of Cups, I was thinking maybe they don't want a relationship? Then again with the 5 of Cups, I always remember that they still have some of their cups in tact so not all is lost.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I see this as possibly she doesn't want a person who will overlook the good in life, not a person who will cry over spilt milk or someone who isn't very pessimistic but optimistic in all aspects of life

Adriana

Maybe it means the person has been disappointed in relationships before, and has become confused about what they really want because what they have been going for untill now hasn't been working for them.

Amanda

They want a more meaningful connection in their next relationship... that is, with the notion that 2 cups are standing upright in your card. Because so far, all they've had were superficial kill-joys (3 cups spilled).

Carla

Any thoughts? Thanks.

5 of Cups can be positive, but the card image helps. For example, the Druidcraft Tarot shows a hooded figure with his back to all the cups, upright or not, as he observes part of the chase between Cerridwen and Gwion (when she is an otter and he is a fish). I almost always see this to mean turning away from all contemplation of disappointment or hope, and focusing on transformational aspects of an emotional situation.

In the situation you describe, if I drew this card, I would say the question of a relationship is not the most important one at the moment, that their emotional needs can be fulfilled better through personal transformation of a different type. With or without a relationship, the important emotional situation right now is something that only the individual can change, and they do have that power if they will consider unexpected or unlikely alternatives. (I'm sure Gwion never expected he would transform himself into a fish to escape an angry witch, for example! But lo and behold he had the power to and he did it.)

Adjustment

Any thoughts? Thanks.

For the particular position you mentioned, seems to me this person is not looking for a relationship, they are still stuck in some dissapointment, they haven't yet turned around to look at the cups that are still up but rather stuck looking at the ones that are spilled. Overall this card is saying this person has some work to do, they need first to move on from perhaps a negative experience/relationship, they need healing before getting involved in a relationship again, this person may be so lost in dissapointment to the point of overlooking opportunities for a good relationship.

Cinnia

For the particular position you mentioned, seems to me this person is not looking for a relationship, they are still stuck in some dissapointment, they haven't yet turned around to look at the cups that are still up but rather stuck looking at the ones that are spilled. Overall this card is saying this person has some work to do, they need first to move on from perhaps a negative experience/relationship, they need healing before getting involved in a relationship again, this person may be so lost in dissapointment to the point of overlooking opportunities for a good relationship.

That one actually makes so much sense when combined with the next card that was pulled. The next question asked why that person isn't in a relationship now and the card that came out was 4 of Cups. With my interpretation they're just kinda focusing on themselves and not even thinking about a relationship. They just don't really care I guess. With the 5 of Cups, it just confirms that the person isn't ready for a relationship anytime soon. Thanks!

Amanda

They're looking for a better relationship, they just don't believe one actually exists. With the 4 of Cups following, they're struggling now to see the beauty that could come from a new relationship... because they know how the past has worked out for them, and it's clouding things up. Call it depression if you want, I think they're just jaded by the experiences they've had.

PAMUYA

What is positive? The 5 of Cups is a feeling of loss, getting over something, there is hope for this person they still have cups remaining. It's what they do with these cups, it is up to them, it is a possible beginning. Positive is in the eye of the beholder, what is "positive" to me maybe "negative" to you. It is what it is, not positive or negative.

nisaba

And sometimes the most distressing experiences in life strengthen us as a person, and/or cause us to change the path we are on, resulting in future gains.