6 of cups and 2 of cups

star-lover

what do you see as the similarities and differences here

they are both about balance of emotion/relationship
two people, trust, happiness, compassion, equality, friendship, sharing

i know the 6 is about reconciliation and forgiveness and that is one difference, also nostalgia

just thought the similarities were more than the differences
i havent yet got a good handle on the 6 of cups

a_shikhs

I would take the 6 of Cups as more of a mother - daughter relationship where 2 of Cups would be more inclined towards lovers or soulmates.

Also the 6 of Cups can also mean thinking of happy moments in the past or good childhood memories or maybe in some situations past life memories too.

star-lover

yes of course *hits forehead with hand* lol

a big difference is the type of love inherent, eros vs agape? erotic versus platonic/familial/friendship

a_shikhs

star-lover said:
yes of course *hits forehead with hand* lol

a big difference is the type of love inherent, eros vs agape? erotic versus platonic/familial/friendship

Yes. But sometimes it can also mean soulmate and true love between a man and woman. Depends on the reading. :)

star-lover

a_shikhs said:
Yes. But sometimes it can also mean soulmate and true love between a man and woman. Depends on the reading. :)

is this because it is related to the Lovers (6)?

so if you got both these cards as what someone feels it could signify true love?

BrightEye

also depends on your deck. in thoth-based decks the 6 of cups is called 'pleasure' and has sexual overtones, whereas the 2 of cups is called 'love'. in the navigators of the mystic SEA tarot the 2 of cups is the card of platonic love and the 6 is 'felicity'.

a_shikhs

star-lover said:
is this because it is related to the Lovers (6)?

so if you got both these cards as what someone feels it could signify true love?

Yup.. if you get both these cards in the same spread, it could signify true love and sharing good memories or moments. :)

BrightEye said:
also depends on your deck. in thoth-based decks the 6 of cups is called 'pleasure' and has sexual overtones, whereas the 2 of cups is called 'love'. in the navigators of the mystic SEA tarot the 2 of cups is the card of platonic love and the 6 is 'felicity'.

I totally agree. For example, in the RWS Tarot, there is an image of an old lady handing a cup to a younger woman. This could signify good mother-daughter relationship or good childhood memories.

In the Fairytale Tarot, there is an image of a young couple, almost children sitting together and the boy is giving the girl a cup with flowers in it. Now here, it could mean a love relationship or 'true love' kind of a thing. It basically depends on the deck and the question asked. :)

http://fairytaletarot.com/fairytale image/cards for web/cups260/Fairy6_cups260.jpg

http://www.villarevak.org/g_resource/aw_6c.jpg

tink27

a_shikhs said:
Yup.. if you get both these cards in the same spread, it could signify true love and sharing good memories or moments. :)

I agree totally with this...but I've been revisiting the Cosmic Tarot and the 6 of cups with the two of cups, it could signify it is our imagination our fantasies creating this bond (perhaps an old relationship) and not the true reality. OR perhaps an old relationship has been rekindled.

I love other Cosmic Tarot people to comment on this...set me straight if I'm on the wrong path.

tink

star-lover

tink27 said:
I agree totally with this...but I've been revisiting the Cosmic Tarot and the 6 of cups with the two of cups, it could signify it is our imagination our fantasies creating this bond (perhaps an old relationship) and not the true reality. OR perhaps an old relationship has been rekindled.

I love other Cosmic Tarot people to comment on this...set me straight if I'm on the wrong path.

tink

ok thanks all - right! so the interpretation has to be the one depending on the deck used and the question

brighteye i had to look up felicity in the dictionary lol, i didnt know it means bliss, great happiness

re the cosmic - it was this deck i used
yes it's a bit different here - it shows a man kissing a woman who seems to be unresponsive but i think she is happy underneath and thinking about the future (not the past hmmm), i think the man is making up here for something he's done, and its a fairly peaceful scene, i think the rekindling here is very possible but your take on the fantasy is very interesting too - maybe just reminiscing about past times, though i thought that could be more 9 of cups?

the 2 of cups in this deck reminds me of the pair in that film casablanca - i've never seen that film (just 5 mins here and there) , don't think it had ahappy ending though

http://www.angelpaths.com/decks/cosmic/cups/cosmic_cp_6.jpg

http://www.angelpaths.com/decks/cosmic/cups/cosmic_cp_2.jpg

Tara2007

I read them as very different

I usually pick up on the 2 of cups as a relationship that is newer or perhaps one that is forthcoming or perhaps the emotional sealing of a relationship, such as getting married, making that committment....The 6 of cups to me means looking at a past love and longing for past feelings to come back. Depending on the situation I would take the 6 of cups to mean that someone may be coming back into your life again.

I have interpreted the 6 of cups in certain readings as looking at early life memories, or simply looking back and wondering. I can take it as a "crossroads" cards at times, when someone is looking at a decision and hoping to regain their happiness. I saw it come up once in a reading about a person's job in the hope/fear position. She was upset about the fact that the company she once worked for was bankrupt and she was now working with people she didn't get on with. It was as nice fit there.