6 of Swords -Moving away or towards?

Wonderwoman

I am having difficulty with this card..In your experiences, is the issue/subject moving away from you or moving towards you? Have you ever experienced this card as a harbinger of news/messanger of news?

thanks in advance!

starrystarrynight

Well, if you are moving away from troubles...then you are moving toward some kind of peace. [A lot of decks show an occupied boat moving toward smooth waters with the turbulent waters behind it.]

But I don't think that this card would represent moving toward troubles (or troubles moving toward you), if that is what you mean. There are other cards that would better signify that type of energy, I believe.

I think of the Six of Swords as putting troubles behind you. It can also indicate actual, physical travel, or merely figuring out what is bothering you so that you can, then, deal with it.

Or maybe it's just time to book passage on a Carnival Cruise. :D

Nimue

I think the card can be taken either way and that it depends on the question asked as well as the spread you're doing. What cards are surrounding the 6 of Swords? What's to the left and what's to the right of this card? Looking at the card within the context of the spread can help you uncover its more specific meaning for you or for the querent.

Typically, I see the card as moving away from a chaotic or stressful time into more "smooth sailing." But at times it has also meant for me running away from a situation too soon merely to avoid conflict. I think of the typical "flight or fight" response. It can also have a very simple, positive meaning that whatever you asked about is going to run smoothly. I also think of the idea of travel or a journey, whether literal or metaphorical.

Definitely lots of ways to look at this card.

Papageno

starrystarrynight said:
Well, if you are moving away from troubles...then you are moving toward some kind of peace. [A lot of decks show an occupied boat moving toward smooth waters with the turbulent waters behind it.]

But I don't think that this card would represent moving toward troubles (or troubles moving toward you), if that is what you mean. There are other cards that would better signify that type of energy, I believe.

I think of the Six of Swords as putting troubles behind you. It can also indicate actual, physical travel, or merely figuring out what is bothering you so that you can, then, deal with it.

:D

i agree. 6 of swords moving away from the carnage of the 5 of swords towards a new beginning wherein you assess your strengths and weaknesses and make new plans typified by the 7 of swords

Wonderwoman

Sounds like a Vacation...

StarryStarryNight, Nimue, Papageno..thank you for your observations on this. So..In essence this card represents both moving away (from trouble) and moving towards resolution. I had considered the literal meaning of travel but was stuck on the boat..I pondered wether it wanted me to jump on the next boat and sail off towards the sunset.

Papageno

Wonderwoman said:
StarryStarryNight, Nimue, Papageno..thank you for your observations on this. So..In essence this card represents both moving away (from trouble) and moving towards resolution. I had considered the literal meaning of travel but was stuck on the boat..I pondered wether it wanted me to jump on the next boat and sail off towards the sunset.

well.....it doesn't necessarily have to signify moving away from a problem per se. the 6 swords indicates a moment of clarity when your perception, your vision comes into focus and plans for a new beginning can take flight.
it's about balance and recognition.

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone......I can see all obstacles in my way"

remember that song?

Wonderwoman

I love that Song!

Thank you Papageno! It gives the card a new meaning.

Papageno said:
well.....it doesn't necessarily have to signify moving away from a problem per se. the 6 swords indicates a moment of clarity when your perception, your vision comes into focus and plans for a new beginning can take flight.
it's about balance and recognition.

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone......I can see all obstacles in my way"

remember that song?

firemaiden

As others have said, it is good to read it a new way every time you see it, depending on the context of the question, your mood, the surrounding cards, the artwork, the little voice in your head, and the little voices of your attending invisible friends.

in the beginning of my tarot adventure, I saw the Six of Swords as being about going toward a new shore, until one fateful day when I laid the cards out on my bedspread, to read for my boyfriend --now ex-boyfriend -- He had never seen the tarot before - but he saw the Six of Swords, and said "Oh! a return!"

Only a day or so later, the call came, it was a job offer in his hometown in Puerto Rico. In less than a week in fact, he was on a plane headed for Puerto Rico... and I've never seen him again.

jayem

the 6 of swords likes to come up a LOT in my readings when i know a situation isnt good for me, but still want to pursue it because i want to think it would make me happy. ive come to break it down to, its your breaking point, and you need to move on no matter what.

Wonderwoman

Fateful Card..

Firemaiden, I am honored to see your reply on my post. I think I need to let my guide(s) help me out once in a while...You mention this card as a revelation and I now see why..to see it exactly as what it demonstrates..a trip either spiritually or physically..Thank You :)

firemaiden said:
As others have said, it is good to read it a new way every time you see it, depending on the context of the question, your mood, the surrounding cards, the artwork, the little voice in your head, and the little voices of your attending invisible friends.

in the beginning of my tarot adventure, I saw the Six of Swords as being about toward a new shore, until one fateful day when I laid the cards out on my bedspread, to read for my boyfriend --now ex-boyfriend -- He had never seen the tarot before - but he saw the Six of Swords, and said "Oh! a return!"

Only a day or so later, the call came, it was a job offer in his hometown in Puerto Rico. In less than a week in fact, he was on a plane headed for Puerto Rico... and I've never seen him again.