7 In A Row

GoddessArtemis

I'm currently travelling the UK and decided, on a whim, to get a tarot reading from someone locally recommended. I haven't had a reading in a loooong time. (years, tbh)

The reader was lovely, but our reading styles are very different, which is fine. However, what I want to know is, if one has a series of cards next to each other (his method was 7x3 - across x down, indicating past/present/future - 21 total, the Romany spread, I believe), how does one read them?

I don't need the cards read, as I can read them myself, but I'm wondering how to relate them to one another, when there are 7 in a row? Is it 1 + 2, then 2 + 3, then 3 + 4 and so forth or what?

Mods, if I've posted this in the wrong forum, please move. It's been a while... :angel:

nisaba

The reader was lovely, but our reading styles are very different, which is fine. However, what I want to know is, if one has a series of cards next to each other (his method was 7x3 - across x down, indicating past/present/future - 21 total, the Romany spread, I believe), how does one read them?

If one is working from a given spread, one reads each position as the spread suggests. If one has made up a spread, one reads them as per each position in the spread one has made up. You'd have to ask the reader what they had in mind. If they had just seven cards on the table and weren't working from positional meanings, I'd be inclined to read them as a very short-term reading for the next seven days but they had three rows of seven. 21 is a magical number, so they could just be free-reading from 21 cards, picking and choosing what stands out to them at the time. Any of these methods will give you a good reading if you are good at it.

GoddessArtemis

If one is working from a given spread, one reads each position as the spread suggests. If one has made up a spread, one reads them as per each position in the spread one has made up. You'd have to ask the reader what they had in mind. If they had just seven cards on the table and weren't working from positional meanings, I'd be inclined to read them as a very short-term reading for the next seven days but they had three rows of seven. 21 is a magical number, so they could just be free-reading from 21 cards, picking and choosing what stands out to them at the time. Any of these methods will give you a good reading if you are good at it.
Hi nisaba,

He called it the Romany, said each row indicates a time frame of past/present/future (I've posted future) and that while he can read them that way, he also combines other cards from other rows if they jump out at him. He said that the last row indicates 6 months on. He was sort of free reading, but with a spread in mind. I want to know how others would relate the cards here...one big picture, 2x2, etc.

I tend to read them as an ongoing story, but not sure if that's way too simplified.

nisaba

I'd think, let him-as-the-reader decide, and don't question his use of the cards (only his skill).

If you want to adapt the spread yourself, come up with your own way of reading it either based on my suggestions or your own different way, then stick with that.

I've known a number of Romani people (yeah, even in Australia we have them), and the two readers amongst them both used the Celtic Cross spread, one used an angel deck and the other used the Thoth deck. :)

I suppose it's okay to give a spread you use the name of a culture.

GoddessArtemis

And I just found this thread, so that also answers my own question. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Thanks, nisaba.

Barleywine

And I just found this thread, so that also answers my own question. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing the link with Anjo's post, it really has my creative juices flowing. I'm a "large spread" guy, and I can see lots of possibilities to refine this one in a number of interesting ways. It's just begging to be explored! :)

GoddessArtemis

Thanks for sharing the link with Anjo's post, it really has my creative juices flowing. I'm a "large spread" guy, and I can see lots of possibilities to refine this one in a number of interesting ways. It's just begging to be explored! :)

:thumbsup: