7 of Pentacles

VintageButtons

This card always stumps me a little. In the Druidcraft it shows a hooded figure cutting mistletoe from a branch of a tree in what looks like winter time. So I'm wondering does this/could this represent reaping what you sow or is it too early for that? Seems like I've heard or read that meaning applied to the 10 of wands or some other card and I'm use to thinking of this card as the reassessing/reevaluating , wait a little longer type meaning. Help..

WaterSong

VintageButtons said:
This card always stumps me a little. In the Druidcraft it shows a hooded figure cutting mistletoe from a branch of a tree in what looks like winter time. So I'm wondering does this/could this represent reaping what you sow or is it too early for that? Seems like I've heard or read that meaning applied to the 10 of wands or some other card and I'm use to thinking of this card as the reassessing/reevaluating , wait a little longer type meaning. Help..

Every time this card has come up in my readings( I am SO very familiar with it) it has been to bring me the message to slow down, the time is not ready, things are progressing at their own pace etc...if you notice the imagery in the most traditional decks is of a farmer looking at the harvest...and it take time for a seed to sprout and bloom and give fruit...so this card brings the message that things are moving and growing but at their own necessary pace.

Sometimes this card also means time to stop and take time to reassess, evaluate, rethink an issue before moving on with it...butessentially it is a card of...patience.

the number 7 also is a number of analysis, reflection,meditation, a very mystical number...a number of solitude and learning....so it implies going inward...coupled with the energy of the Earth, pentacles, it suggests a need to carefully take time to asses something that requires time to evolve and grow and manifest.

I hope this helped you a bit :)

xoxoxo magenta

VintageButtons

Thank you Magenta, yes that helps. I think I was confused by the picture, but on second look he's only cutting a small part of the bunch of mistletoe and leaving most of it to keep growing (I guess), perhaps checking the progress of it's growth. Evaluating things. Thanks again. It makes more sense now. :eek:)

WaterSong

VintageButtons said:
Thank you Magenta, yes that helps. I think I was confused by the picture, but on second look he's only cutting a small part of the bunch of mistletoe and leaving most of it to keep growing (I guess), perhaps checking the progress of it's growth. Evaluating things. Thanks again. It makes more sense now. :eek:)

oh yes, I forgot you had mentioned the Druidcraft 7 of pents( I love that deck very much, I have it)...in the card the Druid is cutting the mistletoe in a snowy landscape...yes, this seems to suggest that is still...Winter and things are sleeping and growing underground but Spring is not there yet...still a while to go...this seems to be the time around December...so...yes, a few more months to see the seeds sprout :)

xoxoxoox
magenta

Thirteen

VintageButtons said:
This card always stumps me a little. In the Druidcraft it shows a hooded figure cutting mistletoe from a branch of a tree in what looks like winter time.
What a wonderful image. Here's a quote on mistletoe and Celtic Lore:

Five days after the first new moon following the winter solstice, Druid priests cut mistletoe with a golden sickle from a special oak tree and had to catch the mistletoe before it hit ground. The plant was distributed among the people to hang over their doors for protection against evil in the coming year.
7/Pents usually just says, "Wait." Whatever you're after, it's not ready yet. But this image says (IMHO) that there is something you can cut off the tree and bring into your home to tide you through the winter while you wait for spring. Bleak as the winter seems, there is something there that you can have/do to tide you over.

I like that a lot. It's like telling someone to stop waiting by the phone and use the time to fix up the house or pay the bills or finish up the knitting. As there's no point in staring at the phone (not going to ring yet), you might as well harvest something else which will get you through this waiting period.

That's how I'd read it.