8 of Batons

Little Baron

Today's card is the 8 of Batons from the Thunderbay Marseille.

I must admit that I have little clues about this one.

I see stability in the two sets of four.

But not sure how to connect the number with the element.

Can anyone help?

I would prefer no RWS interpretations - just suit and number.

Thanks
LB

Sophie

No elements - I try not to take an elemental approach with the Marseille, at least not at first.

Eight sticks and a weave in the middle, and two flowers, one pointing up, one pointing down. I'm looking at the Heron (closest to hand). What do I see?

Red sticks - hot. Eight - a cool number. Sticks - male, phallic. Eight - female, curved (a double womb?). Sticks - finite. Eight - infinite.

So we have a balance of hot and cool, male and female, straight and curved, finite and infinite. It's a perfect balance of opposites that keeps things in place - but keeps them moving too (because the sticks are straight and red and phallic, and 8 swings up-curve, down-curve, forever). In the middle, a blue weave - accepting, compromising, yin. More balance - in adaptability.

And at the very centre, nine red diamonds. The secret nine, the disorderly one in the middle of that orderly eight.

The two flowers reinforce the balance of opposites - one pointing to heaven, the other to earth. Red nubs in blue flowers. After the phallus of the batons, we have the clitoris of the flowers - pulling in energy, sending out energy. All is well in the world.

But don't forget that secret subversive nine.

mtnmermaid

Batons = (for me anyway) passion, creativity, spirituality, power, sexuality, drama, change

8 = Executive character and abilities, political skills, expert handling of power and authority, working for a cause, achieving recognition, exercising sound judgment, decisive and commanding. (from numerology-astrology.com website)

Based on that 8 of wands is a decisive, ambitious, powerful card. To me it's like a ramping up of power and passion, nothing in the way of it, after the explosive, antagonistic energy of the 7, and before hitting the equilibrium of the 9, where the fire is channelled and moderated because you've learned to control it.

(edited to add that I use the Thoth and Tarot de Paris decks most)

Little Baron

Thanks. You are both stars.

This is one of the most complicated for me to interpret because batons are the suit I find most difficult and 8 is the number I understand least.

So, we have the balance of opposites. When I read this, I wonder if we are making the most of everything we have to keep moving. To carry on til the end.

I also think of Justice, which also suggests balance and fairness.

I hate to be a complete idiot, but I still can't grasp any concrete messages from the card for today and it is so frustrating. Helvetica, could you explain the secret nine for me again, please.

Cheers to you both.

LB

Sophie

The secret nine - can something disrupt your beautiful balance?

or - do you need to unbalance things a bit? Sometimes things can work too well, action and reaction too well balanced, and there is no challenge - and no internalisation of what is happening.

Or - is something pulling down those idealised batons? (such active, thrusting, receptive balance can't last, can it?) - something pulling it down to the ground?

Or - you could think of the enneagram. Nine is another form of perfection, which depends on the multiplication of what is not in balance (3x3) and its perpetual movement (see Gurdjieff on that topic). That means - inside a balance of opposites, the eight, you have the hint of another possibility: a balance of creativity - a balanced imbalance, which renews itself in a way the eight can't. That's why it's subversive. It's the fox in the hen-coop that teaches the hens how to fly.

But for today - you need to start with the eight :D. The nine is only hinted at, in the centre.

Rosanne

I love the number eight!! The perfect rhythm with an increased beat. It is also four pairs of opposites. It is the God Thoth's number as well. From the Octagon you can start a circle (transformation) and there is a visual stability with an eight. Eight Wands- stable energy with order weaving its centre together. ~Rosanne

tarobones

Helvetica's Book

Hey, Helvetica! When you finish that other book about that new deck coming out, how about a book on the TdM?? :)
I didn't find the 9 red diamonds in the hadar, but found it in the Camois-J. Perhaps I should get a red sharpie and ink it in?? ;-)
Thanks for your sharing. The perfectly balanced world and then the 9 diamonds, sort of reminds me of the old Hopi Indian tradition: when they do their intricate designs which mirror the universe they ALWAYS, and purposely include a flaw somewhere........absolute balance seems so dead somehow. Somewhere, sometimes, somebody must break out don't you think? so life continues to happen in new and interesting ways? BB, Michael

Ladybro

LittleBuddha said:
Today's card is the 8 of Batons from the Thunderbay Marseille.

I must admit that I have little clues about this one.

I see stability in the two sets of four.

But not sure how to connect the number with the element.

Can anyone help?

I would prefer no RWS interpretations - just suit and number.

Thanks
LB

Hi, because of my book is in Spanish I’ll do my best with translation:

Tarot Wicca Celt by Kisma Stepanich
8 de Tine = Gold ring
Card description: Colorful With red flames above and red flames below. The center is light yellow.
Right side a big green wood candle with green flame too .In its base there is a little red triangle
Left side: 8 tines (they looks like as rustic druids wands) in a “lance attitude” on the position to the fire below.

Meaning: Important trip, change of scenario, movement and progress, but be careful energy in excess could spoil/damage everything

Ladybro

Hi, Little Buddha:
My way to read the arcane is different . I never read by separated number and arcane.

Well, about your 8 of wands I’ll say may be you feel anxiety about changes that you can’t control them and in same way those changes involved important circumstances in your life.

A question: What do you want connect? 2 Fours or 1 Eights.
That’s your answer¡¡