8 of Pentacles and the 2 of Cups

Animor

I got 8 of Pentacles and the 2 Cups as clarification card, as the future of a relationship (a relationship that doesn't exist at the moment, we broke up, but I wanted to know if there is potential to be together again).
What do you think?

I normally don't add clarification cards at simple Past-Present-Future spread, but the 8 of Pentacles confused me in a romantic question. I see it as I associate with new knowledge and skills, dedication to the task and effort. What do you think and what 2 of Cups adds to it?
Do we have a future together? :)

rwcarter

To me the cards together say that it's going to take a lot of work (8P) to get the relationship you envision (2C), as it's a relationship that doesn't exist yet.

HTH,
Rodney

Apollo_19

I agree with the post above. Maybe it shows that it's gonna take work to make the relationship work and its success depends only on the commitment you both dedicate to the relationship or in get back together.

starrystarrynight

The Eight of Pentacles often suggests to me the need to use a grounded (Pentacles) sensibility to build a firm foundation for future endeavors (Eight.) The Two of Cups as a clarifier to that card would make me think that you need to be grounded and sensible in the matter of the future of the partnership or relationship you are reading about, perhaps. In other words, you may need to pull your head out of the clouds and the "what-if" scenarios and use your common sense about this relationship. What was it built on in the first place, and what is the most likely rational future of it?

Those thoughts might be different depending upon the rest of the cards in the spread, though. It is often a little off-putting trying to pull a couple of cards out of a larger spread and speak to their possible "meanings" with the kind of better accuracy you might get by reading them altogether in the whole spread.