9 Cups and the "I/You Wish!" factor

Free Flight

I had a little altercation with the 9 cups on the weekend when reading for myself...thought I would share to see if this has happened for anyone else.

I find this card somewhat harder to read...It is known as the Wish Card but at times I find this meaning somewhat shallow and I struggle to see any layers beneath this accepted meaning.

I am not sure about other countries, but in Australia we use the term "I / You Wish!" a lot. In case others are unfamiliar with this Australianism I thought I would elaborate. In discussing events that are unlikely we often use this as a form of a scoff at self or others.

eg:
Person 1 "I am going to win the lottery this week."
Person 2 "you wish!" accompanied with a snigger

Person 1 "So do you think your chances with that guy are good?"
Person 2 "I wish!" accompanied by self derogatory snigger

On the weekend, I asked my lovely Druidcraft cards if, when I went out that night, I would encounter a very attractive male I had seen previously.

I received the 9 cups and the 6 Pentacles rx as my answer.
I interpreted this as yes if I wished it he would be there. The 6 Pent rx referred to the second part of my question which asked whether we would talk. The answer I interpreted as such: I would see him and that our encounters would have to be intiated by me in order to form any conversational bonds.

Was he there?

Suspense!!

No he was not working!

So when I got home, I asked my cards again what had happened.
My question was, Why had I not encountered him at this venue when the cards pointed towards it...?

The answer in reply was 9 Cups...

I felt the cards having a little snigger at my expense and felt they were saying You Wish!!

Cascade

sitting down (RWS)

If your manthought is a bartender or a waiter, it could be that he's on the front side of the cups because he wasn't behind the bar. At least you know what days he's off. That could be something you'd be wishing to know later.

Free Flight

Cascade said:
If your manthought is a bartender or a waiter, it could be that he's on the front side of the cups because he wasn't behind the bar. At least you know what days he's off. That could be something you'd be wishing to know later.

Interesting thought Cascade and not a link I had seen!! :) He is a security guard at the bar

Chubby Mummy

Freeflight, the way you described 9 of cups is exactly how i see it!! It reminds me of a thread in here a long time ago, (i cant remember who posted it) of a girl who asked about her potential with this guy she was in love with, i think it was, would she get it on with him at this party she was going basically, and she got a 9 of cups in outcome. The cards basically told her, "yeah u wish!!" with a snigger, coz it turned out the guy was gay. So there u go - the "wish" card for ya!!

xxx

huredriel

ROFLMAO - yep we have this phrase in the UK FF, have to remember this, after all Tarot can have a sarcastic sense of humour at times!

WalesWoman

"You wish" as well as "In your dreams"... maybe these are universals... :rolleyes: snicker.

Tarot has such a knarly sense of humor sometimes. But then again when I see the 9 Cups, I think of a bar, the party and everyone having a good time more than the fairy god mother granting wishes. This is sort of one of the superficial cards for me. So maybe it's the Make a Wish card, so be careful what you wish for.

Maybe it's the realization of what makes you feel happy and fulfilled rather than the actual fulfillment, which would seem to happen in 10 cups.

Ace

I can see that Wales Woman. Or of what you THINK will make you happy. The card is sometimes so negative, so SMUG. It is having it all, but it isn't a GOOD having. So maybe a "you wish, but you can't have" feel would work too.... I will definitely keep that possible interp in mind when I read with 9 of cups! I glad this thread was started.
Ace

Free Flight

thanks for all the replies and I am glad it is not just me. It has now added another layer to this card, albeit a sarcastic edge :)

psychicbody

hm... clearly, your own hopes had more to do with what happened. Perhaps the Six represented his shift at the bar? Inverted, the 6 could mean he was off someplace, spending the money he usually earns there...