9 of Pentacles as Communication

MissCW

I've had the 9 of Pents come up for communication and I'm a little stumped as it's not a card I usually get for this.

Has anyone got any thoughts what it could mean? I'm using the Druidcraft which features the lady staring directly at you and holding the the bird but doesn't have the snail from the standard images. So I can see her sending the bird (message) out there in a direct manner but she still stands alone.

The best I'm coming up with is a message sent successfully but not necessarily replied to. But I feel like I'm stretching a bit, has anyone else had it?

Thank you!

CrystalSeas

What Was The Question?

What did you ask that gave you the answer of 9 Pentacles? "communication" covers a lot of territory.

Thirteen

Message received, but no response pending

The implication I get is that you're asking if someone got a message. The question is whether the 9/Pents is you sending it out or them receiving. If you wanted a reply, then I'd take this as how they received it--i.e. the bird arriving with a message to your intended person (the woman in the picture), rather than you as the woman sending it out.

If that's the case, then they got the message, but they're not inclined to answer right now. 9/Pents is someone who is in "Hermit" mode (9)--comfortable and secluded and taking their own little vacation from the world. They don't want to deal with all the mental/emotional/drama stuff. They want to relax and be pampered. But there is the bird, which does allow for communications with the outside world. She's not totally cut off. So the message was received. Your person just doesn't see it as urgent enough, or sees it as too much "outside world" to answer.

starrystarrynight

In agreement with Thirteen and going beyond that a bit, in pulling the Nine of Pentacles in answer to a question or spread position such as this one, I've seen it suggest that the person simply wants to be left alone. He may have gotten the message, but probably won't respond to it because that might mean opening up a dialogue he doesn't want to open.

Tarot Orat

I'm getting a feeling of a blocked or maybe undesired communication here. The 9 of Pents is a woman who's content where she is, inside her carefully tended and walled garden, someone who's put a lot of effort into acheiving a state in life, a certain status (a gyrfalcon is traditionally the falconry bird of a king or empress), and maybe she doesn't want a messenger coming into that with a communique from the outside world.

Also, the woman and bird are both looking at us, but not at each other; the bird's head is even turned away from here. The communication isn't between the two of them, I don't think....for whatever that's worth. They're together, her hand holds the claws of the bird and the claws of the bird hold her hand, but they're not in sync.

As a longtime falconry fanatic, I find myself looking more closely at that beautiful white and gray gyrfalcon....I see that it isn't hooded, like the hawk in the RWS and some of its clones, so there's nothing blocking the communication between the bird and the outside world. But one thing about falcons, for as long as homing pigeons have been used to convey messages, trained birds of prey have been used to bring them down, intercept the message, kill the messenger....is the falcon unhooded because it's about to be sent skyward to hunt? Or because it's just come back from a hunt? (If it is back from a hunt, its talons are empty and unbloodied. If it was trying to bring down the message-carrying pigeon, it failed...and maybe that's why the lady and falcon both look a little grumpy!)

So maybe the message got through, but wasn't welcome; maybe the recipient didn't even read it. Maybe s/he will, but with a certain amount of grudgingness. I don't see this as particularly positive in a "yay, I got a message" kind of way!

Thirteen

But one thing about falcons, for as long as homing pigeons have been used to convey messages, trained birds of prey have been used to bring them down, intercept the message, kill the messenger....is the falcon unhooded because it's about to be sent skyward to hunt?
Nice point.

MissCW

The implication I get is that you're asking if someone got a message. The question is whether the 9/Pents is you sending it out or them receiving. If you wanted a reply, then I'd take this as how they received it--i.e. the bird arriving with a message to your intended person (the woman in the picture), rather than you as the woman sending it out.

If that's the case, then they got the message, but they're not inclined to answer right now. 9/Pents is someone who is in "Hermit" mode (9)--comfortable and secluded and taking their own little vacation from the world. They don't want to deal with all the mental/emotional/drama stuff. They want to relax and be pampered. But there is the bird, which does allow for communications with the outside world. She's not totally cut off. So the message was received. Your person just doesn't see it as urgent enough, or sees it as too much "outside world" to answer.

Wow. Thirteen, you really are amazing with the cards - this is exactly the situation. I didnt want to put it because it would have got moved to your readings and I only pulled one card on it for my sister. She'd sent a message and not got a reply so wanted to know if it had been received. I am in awe :D

Starry and Tarot Orat I think what you said is also spot on - she won't be getting a reply and her message was probably unwanted/undesired.

We have some amazing readers on here - thanks very much! (I am still saying wow to myself lol!)