9 of Swords vs. 5 of Cups (Which is worse?)

ArchAngelMeshi

In your opinion, which is worse?

The 9 of Swords or The 5 of Cups?

Both are about remorse, and regret. And I also sense a feeling of despair in them.

PAMUYA

In the 5 of cups there are still 2 cups that are upright, there is still something there, I see this 5 as more of regret, an emotional responce. The 9 of swords is anxiety, depression, much more connected to thought, mental illness, a physical reaction. Personally I would rather face the 5 of cups, seems more temporary in nature, time would heal this.

ArchAngelMeshi

I just noticed that after I made this thread hahaha.

Yeah, the 9 of Swords does seem kinda worse in that what you are sad about might actually be gone with no consolation/left overs.

But then again, it could just all be in your head. (Or is that the reversed 9 of Swords only?)

happyfish

I don't think I could say which I think is "worse," but I can tell you some differences in how these two cards tend to show up when I do readings.

5 of Cups usually represents feelings of remorse or a sad type of longing. I see this card as representing emotional wounds, for sure, but the type of emotional experiences that later, when we aren't so bogged down in them, become very powerful learning and growing experiences.

The 9 of Swords, on the other hand, I see as almost a 'panic attack' type feeling. This is when you are so caught up in your mental drama that you might be experiencing the same type of sadness associated with the 5 of cups, but it feels more overwhelming. It's the racing thoughts that tell the mental story about the pain, which are often even worse than the pain itself.

LaRazia

for me the 5 of cups. because the 9 of swords is imagining the pain. In the 5 of cups the pain is real.

chongjasmine

I prefer the 5 of cups. 5th of cups for me is mourning a loss, while 9th of swords is anguish and panic.