9 of Wands as Compassion?

sweet_intuition

For the first time in a really long time... I'm a little stumped on this.

How would one interpret the 9 of Wands to represent 'Compassion' on a 'personal' level?

le fey

I'm not sure I would, though I can see it representing someone in need of compassion. Why are you trying to, out of curiousity?

sweet_intuition

le fey said:
Why are you trying to, out of curiousity?

Well, I was doing an exercise where we had to pull a card to represent Compassion, and well, I pulled out the 9 of Wands, and couldn't really find anything in the card that would show anything in regards to 'Compassion'.

le fey

Ah ok... so would looking at it as representing the object of compassion work? Assuming the deck is showing RWS's wounded soldier, hanging in there in spite of injuries, might that represent someone in need of some help and kindness?

rwcarter

Also assuming a RWS-ish card, I'd say that the 9W might be pointing to a need or desire to relieve someone of their post since you can see how weary and bedraggled they are. Or it might point to empathy for their position since you know you can't take over for them and they can't stop what they need to do.

I have other thoughts floating through my head on the subject, but there are too many distractions going on around me for me to think clearly about it. I'll come back to this thread a little later.

Rodney

Grizabella

I could see it representing compassion in the sense that a person would feel like retaliating against someone who had hurt the person on the card. Sometimes compassion can feel like anger right at first, I think.

For instance, you look at this guy on the card and you feel like doing something to the person or persons who hurt them, so you're feeling a compassionate defensiveness for them.

Am I explaining right? We're not used to associating compassion with violence, but even a non-violent person can feel a flicker of anger and desire to hurt someone else in the right circumstance, even though they're probably not likely to act on it.

Think of the larger scale: We fight wars compassionately. Think about going into a country to fight for the people there who are being raped, starved, slaughtered---that's a violent act begotten by compassion for the underdog. Right?

rwcarter

OK. I can think a little more clearly now.

In a card like the 5P, it's pretty obvious how one might feel compassion for the characters who are depicted. They could be seen as cold, hungry, destitute, homeless, fallen upon hard times, etc.

The figure in the RWS 9W can be seen similarly. He can barely stand, yet he's ready to protect what's his. He's obviously been through quite a bit and apparently has been injured in the process. He's probably weary and would rather be anywhere but where he is. But he feels that he needs to be there regardless of where he might want to be.

"Oh you poor thing! You've been through so much yet you're still hanging in there...."

"Is there any way I can help you?"

"Can I get you anything? Food? Something to drink?"

"Can I call anyone for you?"

"Would you like some company?"

Those are all compassionate responses to the person in the 9W.

Does that help?

Rodney

le fey

Yes, I agree.... I can think of a situation where someone is sitting vigil for a loved one in the hospital... they're tired, worried, hurt... need to sleep, but they're staying there with them. They reflect this kind of compassion, and they can also be the recipient of it from someone sitting with them, or spelling them so they can sleep or going and cleaning their house or making meals - the kind of compassion that supports them in keeping their position even when they're at the end of their personal strength.

Mellifluous

To me it's a card about wanting to have healthier relationships or to be healthier, emotionally speaking (and maybe in other ways as well). That's closely connected to compassion on a personal level. At least, to the way my mind works. :)

sweet_intuition

This has been really helpful, thank you everyone for all your posts and insights. It's really helped me understand the 'compassion' within this card a whole lot more.

On a personal note, the explanations given by le fey, Griz and Rodney really touched a personal chord, and have allowed me to reflect on how I show and experience compassion within my life, and I thank you all for that.

Love and Blessings
:) :heart: