a nightmare

earthshine

So in my dream I was invited to a high school reunion. I am still, by and large, a closet Tarot reader, because of my strong Christian background, and that my family is quite well-known in our local church.

So when in my dream one of my old classmates asks me to read for her, I was mildly alarmed. I bring out my Radiant Rider Waite, and strangely, someone in the party mixes my deck with a giant-sized Robin Wood deck, and a mini-sized deck with which I'm not familiar.

I was shuffling and shuffling, and no matter how much I try to weed out cards from other decks they keep reappearing in my hand. Finally, the querent-classmate says, "Just go ahead and read with all decks jumbled together. If the same card shows up, maybe it means something."

So I try a Celtic Cross and I promise you, the cards are unlike any I've seen before. Strange new drawings, striking colors. There was no way for me to interpret them without taking my time and really looking at, studying, and meditating on the cards in the spread. I felt a slight panic.

"It's all right, I'm not in a hurry. Neither are all of our classmates. You do realize you will read for them as well," says querent-classmate.

Then I woke up.

Typing this now I think I realize what the dream means. I haven't touched my deck all week (I only really own the Radiant RW, no other deck). I haven't been meditating. And it was full moon last night. So maybe all these factors are telling me to get back on the horse.

Morgan Le Fei

How interesting

readerico,

That doesn't sound like a nightmare to me! Stress is never fun of course..

Sounds like you already know what your dream meant. Was your high school associated with your church? It sounds like it from what you wrote. If yes, maybe your dream is also telling you that you don't have to completely separate all of your beliefs.

I know a lot of Christians believe divination is wicked and against the teachings of Christ, but maybe that's just not true! ;)

Hemera

Oh, I also think that is a wonderful dream.
School is for learning new things and your classmate is encouraging you to relax and read. You see wonderful new colors and patterns in the cards. And the querent tells you not to hurry, there is plenty of time!
The fact that you feel stress in the dream may come from still being tied with the old beliefs and looking at tarot from the conservative religious viewpoint? But the dream promises that there is no hurry. There are other viewpoints and everything will fall into place given time.

raxxillion

Wow! Interesting dream! I too had a tarot dream/nightmare when I was struggling between being a strong Christian and learning tarot. It was a defining experience. 20 years later I am still a strong Christian but a professional reader. You just have to have faith in your err.. Faith. Figure out what you Know is right and what is just things people say because they think they are supposed to say it.

On the non religious side, there is an important thing that happened in your dream. You saw the art on the cards that you never saw before. Normally in dreams (as creative as they seem) books are empty and you can't see more than one piece of art. I like to think it is too taxing for the mind to invent a new resource for the dream, but friends I've discussed this with have other theories too. But no matter what, it shows that your subconscious was drawing on something deeper. You have an intuitive resource that might be worth unlocking if you decide to pursue tarot more than casually.