A pleasant find

MysticalMoose

I was browsing thru an antiquey type place today during my lunch hour & as always rummaged thru the books just in case a bargain was lurking :D....I spotted a battered blue & gold box amongst some advertising cards bearing the words "Oswald Wirth Tarot Deck"...I thought "Hmmm I dont have that one!" & asked how much he wanted & he said..."oh give me £1 that will do..." I handed it over & trotted off back to work to examine my little bargain & oooooh its lovely.. not my normal thing at all I dont usually like pip cards, but the colours are lovely & the gold is gorgeous....& the cards are in mint condition even tho the box is tatty....(I dont know anything about the deck at all, Im sure you guys know more but its got yellow kind backs with red patterns on that look a bit like a circle-crossstitch), but hey, not very often I find a deck for £1 !!!! :laugh: so Im happy :)

MM :D

Jewel

Congrats on your find. You should see what year it was published and see if perhaps you are holding an OOP treasure *LOL*. Actually the reason I was responding to your post is because I have a book about that deck, but no longer have the deck. If you are interested I can get you more info on what book it is exactly and we can see if we can work something out so I can send it to you. Granted I am in the US, and I know I cannot get it out in the next two weeks, but it would be nice for the book to reside with someone who is enchanted with the deck. Just PM me and let me know if you are interested.

lilangel09

You lucky moose! How often do you find a deck for £1?! Congrats on your find :p

Milfoil

Good for you. :D

Its nice to get a gift like this once in a while isn't it?

MysticalMoose

:) Thanks Jewel & everyone :)

I have no idea what year it was published there is no date on the box, Im sure its not the OLD OLD one..... in fact I dont think its tooo old cus the I see it has on the lid flap

OSWALD WIRTH TAROT DECK
MADE IN SWITZERLAND
BY AGMULLER
DISTRIBUTED EXCLUSIVELY BY
U.S GAMES SYSTEMS, INC
NEW YORK N.Y. 10016

there is no lwb or similar, only other thing I can see is on the bottom of the back of the box it says

OW78 Oswald Wirth....

Any ideas anyone? Id like to know more.....

Le Fanu

I can´t date this deck for you. Decks are notoriously difficult to date I always find, but generally somebody here will know.

I love this deck. It is a deck which has been around for ages. Look in those 1970s LWBs and the Oswald Wirth is always there in the "Top Ten" tarot decks of the 1970s. It is now (I think) OOP. I have a copy and you do still see it around, but soon the stocks will run out and within half an hour of them doing so, this forum will be full of those who want one! You know how it is with OOP decks! Well done! Quite a find.

I love the size, the artwork and that copper-coloured background. I must check whether mine is a made in Switzerland one. It´s a real classic.

Then they (well, Scarabeo) did the Universal Wirth which was an "illustrated pips" version of the Oswald Wirth. I don´t like it. Too much botox in the women.

Jewel

Le Fanu said:
Then they (well, Scarabeo) did the Universal Wirth which was an "illustrated pips" version of the Oswald Wirth. I don´t like it. Too much botox in the women.
*ROFLMAO* that is funny.

I love the Fool card in that deck with the cat chomping at the Fool's ankles ~giggles~. I traded mine away as I never used it and it is a deck that I felt needed to go to a place where it would be used. It just did not seem fair to have it collecting dust on a book shelf. Like I said, just let me know if you want the book as I have no use for it since I traded the deck :D