advice Daughter of Swords - end 3 of Wands - ?!?

MandMaud

This was a Celtic Cross about a question that's been blocking my progress for quite a long time. I have a load of things in the house to get rid of - small items and furniture I inherited; stuff my ex didn't want to deal with; boxes that go back to my past as a hoarder (which I no longer am); a cumulative amount of clothes and books from having been ill and not having regular clear-outs for a good few years. Common sense says sell whatever I can, but my state of near-overload says give it to charity to be instantly free of it. Even the latter is a huge task (my health is still far from 100% and that's time-consuming) but I do need the money.

I don't like either/or, yes/no type questions, so I asked
what to do with the things I don't want to keep.
The Wild Unknown Tarot, without reversals.

position 9, advice: Daughter of Swords
position 10, resolution*: Three of Wands

* I don't agree with "outcome" because nothing's that final, this position is only how this chapter plays out, not "the end".

:eek: Both are cards I'm not great with, especially the Daughter (Page/Princess equivalent) as I have the same trouble with courts that's common to many of us.

My best guess(es):
9 - DoS: I should think like a beginner ???
10 - 3W: make a beginning? get inspired? get others' help? wait and see?

These interpretations don't help me much. I feel like a "beginner" already, ie I'm floundering, and I have already done as much research (eg the fees for selling online) as pos. The reading certainly hasn't given me a clue which to work towards. I'm not very experienced with the CC but recently started trying it more often, and I'm finding it fairly easy to read and useful most of the time... not this time, though. :neutral:

Makes me wonder if I should do an either/or, but I'm no good at them. I'm no good at reading for myself, really. So I'm grateful for any help!

Amanda

Well, the Daughter of Swords might do something like taking small, yet hefty major swings at something with her sword. Perhaps you would do well to take small, yet hefty swings to not only sell things but mind your health. For instance, you could pick out some of the larger items, advertise them for sale and have people come pick them up. Then, as you come across other things you'd rather just give away, perhaps advertise them for free and have people come pick them up. :D Either way, you're having people come pick them up as you get to them... then whatever people don't come get will be a lot less for you to take away. I think the 3 of Wands as a resolution shows having a good plan in place to hit on all aspects of the situation -- a multi-solution that plays to all your personal strengths/benefits here.

Just some thoughts! :)

queenxofxwands

If you advertise, ( page) they will come ( 3 of wands)

However, these cards also show a tad of procrastination, like you want to do it, you know you should do it, but you keep distracting yourself from it, effectively putting it off. Page says keep it simple, so, a garage sale perhaps, where you only need one ad, and don't have to list everything. Not sure how it's done where you are, but here it's common to make your own sign, and stick it somewhere traffic will see it, then another on your driveway, or wherever you live.

MandMaud

Well, the Daughter of Swords might do something like taking small, yet hefty major swings at something with her sword. Perhaps you would do well to take small, yet hefty swings to not only sell things but mind your health. For instance, you could pick out some of the larger items, advertise them for sale and have people come pick them up. Then, as you come across other things you'd rather just give away, perhaps advertise them for free and have people come pick them up. :D Either way, you're having people come pick them up as you get to them... then whatever people don't come get will be a lot less for you to take away. I think the 3 of Wands as a resolution shows having a good plan in place to hit on all aspects of the situation -- a multi-solution that plays to all your personal strengths/benefits here.

Just some thoughts! :)

Good thoughts! Your reading of the Daughter is one that would never have occurred to me, and makes sense. It throws me back to an earlier "But where to start?!" block, but that's a whole different question and I did get on top of it.

Are you getting the multi-solution from the triangle of the three wands (in the Wild Unknown), pointing all ways? Or some other reason?

MandMaud

If you advertise, ( page) they will come ( 3 of wands)

However, these cards also show a tad of procrastination, like you want to do it, you know you should do it, but you keep distracting yourself from it, effectively putting it off. Page says keep it simple, so, a garage sale perhaps, where you only need one ad, and don't have to list everything. Not sure how it's done where you are, but here it's common to make your own sign, and stick it somewhere traffic will see it, then another on your driveway, or wherever you live.

Advertising is another really good way of reading this card, the communication aspect.

My trouble is that a garage sale is far from within my capacity. It needs things sorting into "categories", or at least putting all into one place (the garage is full of other stuff), and needs deciding on prices and so on. One of my Bright Ideas :)neutral:) was an "online garage sale", ie a website with things listed and priced. That would be less to do than physically moving them all, but more doing in other ways. I've had lots of schemes over time, each simpler and less work than earlier ideas, and lowered my sights over n over again.

The very simplest thing, you see, is to take one box at a time and put things into carrier bags to take to the charity shops. No "doing" except the decision whether or not to keep. It still requires a space for the things that I will want to keep, and that itself is a challenge until some of the getting-rid-of has happened! Putting them in the recycling means sorting clothes separate from books, etc, which is more. Selling is a great deal more.

I wonder if you're right about procrastination. I was procrasinating, but stopped - and it was all about not knowing where to begin. Yet I still don't know where to begin. If I just give it all to charity, I do know where to begin, simply with the box that's in front of me.

Something's stopping me though - I can't quite bring myself to just give it all away. I have done so in the past, had huge culls of stuff, and when we cleared my mum's house I gave most of the furniture to a charity who were astonished because no one ever does that with big things that would fetch money, but I valued the space and simplicity more at that time. Now I don't - so I feel it must be my intuition telling me that giving away isn't the right thing now.

Aaaagh....

Amanda

Good thoughts! Your reading of the Daughter is one that would never have occurred to me, and makes sense. It throws me back to an earlier "But where to start?!" block, but that's a whole different question and I did get on top of it.

Are you getting the multi-solution from the triangle of the three wands (in the Wild Unknown), pointing all ways? Or some other reason?

Yes, the triangle and the blend of multi-colors (the rainbow of color can be very telling throughout this deck). But also 3s are like mini-solutions or culminations. They're creative. They're solutions that might not fit into a 'box' of a 4 card; they're a little more loose and adaptable. I absolutely think you shouldn't go at this in a more organized fashion. I'd say priority number one is to get a little cash in your hands.. pick out a couple of larger things and try placing them up for sale. If you have anything around you like what I do on Facebook, you simply join a community sales group, take a picture of your item and place it up for sale (for free, because it's Facebook) and if someone wants it you can make arrangements for them to come pick it up and they pay you in cash at your door. And if you don't have a community sales group on Facebook in your city, perhaps you should make one! :)

Also, in my community there are people working for charities who frequent these community sites and they will come pick things up if you simply want to be free of them. 3 of Wands would definitely point to social networking in that way as well. :)

Grizabella

What came to my mind right away with this combination of cards and considering that you have physical drawbacks is to delegate the actual physical part and watching over the sale after it's set up is to someone who is younger and more able than you are. Do you have a friend or young daughter or son or grandchild who could help with this?

MandMaud

Yes, the triangle and the blend of multi-colors (the rainbow of color can be very telling throughout this deck). But also 3s are like mini-solutions or culminations. They're creative. They're solutions that might not fit into a 'box' of a 4 card; they're a little more loose and adaptable.
Ah, I see how you're looking at it. Yes, I think of threes as the first number that can stand on its own without wobbling, as it were, so the first "finale" - what you're saying. I haven't had this deck very long, and have noticed that the colour indicates where the energy is (at least that's my take) but hadn't looked at *which* colour(s) appear.

I absolutely think you shouldn't go at this in a more organized fashion. I'd say priority number one is to get a little cash in your hands.. pick out a couple of larger things and try placing them up for sale. If you have anything around you like what I do on Facebook, you simply join a community sales group, take a picture of your item and place it up for sale (for free, because it's Facebook) and if someone wants it you can make arrangements for them to come pick it up and they pay you in cash at your door. And if you don't have a community sales group on Facebook in your city, perhaps you should make one! :)

Also, in my community there are people working for charities who frequent these community sites and they will come pick things up if you simply want to be free of them. 3 of Wands would definitely point to social networking in that way as well. :)

"Shouldn't go at this in a more organized fashion" matches what my intuition tells me, and fits my nature too.

The FB group is a good idea. I had the impression that they're time-consuming, but I suppose that's if you're hoping to find what you want, rather than offering. These things don't work quite as well being rural; I did put a few things on Freecycle but hardly any went because of the drive to get them, as my nearest groups are at least 20 minutes away. But there is a FB "For sale or free in..." group much nearer. I'll try it!

... when I get on top of getting photos onto FB ... not the techy side, finding the camera's USB lead! :rolleyes:

MandMaud

What came to my mind right away with this combination of cards and considering that you have physical drawbacks is to delegate the actual physical part and watching over the sale after it's set up is to someone who is younger and more able than you are. Do you have a friend or young daughter or son or grandchild who could help with this?

Thanks... no, I don't. I have sons who are young men, but it's like herding cats.* It actually takes less energy to do it by myself than to get their agreement, make it happen, and either get them to leave the rooms in a state I can live in, or clear up the aftermath myself. (It isn't unwillingness; one has ADHD and the other is just impossible to "herd", which is either his Asperger's or being a musician to his core, or both. Plus both grew up seeing that when one member was "down", the rest of the family didn't flow into the space to continue functioning as a unit, but ignored the missing piece and took no notice until the weak link rejoined. :() As for friends, I am rebuilding my social life but the friends I could ask for this are at quite a distance, from my social past if you see what I mean.

It has crossed my mind to get one here for a "working" visit of a week or so, maybe. Or to have a "clutter party" where I make scones and people sort and clear things. The latter's more daunting as I don't know people and they couldn't tell the Sell things from Keep things without me anyway. But the former may happen one day. - Those friends couldn't be the Daughter though, they're all older than me.

I see how the friend/child would be the Daughter - are you seeing the 3W as the delegating?

* One day I must get some cats together and try herding them to see how valid the simile is. I'm thinking it could be *worse* than herding cats.