Ageing a Deck

zhahmi

I've searched and I've searched and I've search (including using the Search button, but all I'm getting is error messages when using it). There was a thread I remember reading a long time ago where Umbrae described how he would age a new deck. If anyone knows where I can find it, or has it bookmarked, can you please link it to me?

Gratefully,

Zhahmi

thorhammer

I haven't found the original post, but the man himself quotes it in this thread: Preparing a deck without ruining it

There is also:

Aging a deck

When the "Umbrae Method" isn't enough

If you're thinking about aging a deck, make sure and have fun with it! It's obviously best not to do it to something valuable like a Vieville :eek: but it can be a whole lot of fun and you can make it what you want.

Don't listen to those who say you're fooling yourself or your sitters by artificially adding "woo-woo" to you and your deck. It's about you, no one else :)

\m/ Kat

The crowned one

When I saw this post my first thought was "thorhammer" and there you are above me. I can vouch for her skills at aging a deck.

Grizabella

thorhammer said:
Don't listen to those who say you're fooling yourself or your sitters by artificially adding "woo-woo" to you and your deck. It's about you, no one else :)

\m/ Kat

Besides, artificially aging a deck, like anything else artificially done, will never really look just like the real thing anyway so just enjoy experimenting around. Maybe you'll be the one to find just the exact way to replicate a truly aged deck so that even the experts can't distinguish it from the real thing. ;)

nisaba

Probably carrying it around in the back-pocket of tightish jeans (with or without a rubber band to keep it togetehr, but definitely without a wrap or the original packaging) to soften the card, placing the outer cards inside teh deck occasionally, followed by not being too careful when doing spreads on greasy tables or tables with the odd drops of tea spilt on them, will give it that well-loved look and feel.

But I hang onto decks for years, in fact for decades, and I find time and careful use does the same thing after a while.

zhahmi

You are all so amazing! Thank you so very much for the links and the suggestions... I'll let you know how it turns out. Even if it fails, it will still add character, right? :)

thorhammer

The crowned one said:
When I saw this post my first thought was "thorhammer" and there you are above me. I can vouch for her skills at aging a deck.
Why thankyou, my dear :)

\m/ Kat

Oddity

:D
Just a tip:

Stains from tea makes them look nice and worn, stains from grease makes them look nasty and dirty, I have cards that have been victim to both (the grease was by accident and happened before I got the deck; the tea was deliberate and by me). Stick with the tea; a large cup of English Breakfast goes a looong way.

You can use tea for staining anything, paper, wood, easter eggs, fabric - I made a backdrop that way from cotton sheets, soaking in a bucket of tea overnight. They got interesting batik-like patterns from all the creases. (Bit off topic maybe, but still. :) )

zhahmi

I haven't tried the tea dipping yet, but I did run them over the edge of a table and they are amazing. So easy and nice to shuffle. Thanks again for all your replies and suggestions, much appreciated.

Zhahmi