Amber Jewlery

sleepingcat

*wonders why she'll always wander out of her hermitude for rocks*

I come bearing a question, yet again.

Does amber jewelry last well? I've been pining for a piece lately, not really sure why, but my mom thinks it wont stand up to being worn. (I dont know why, it's not as though the amber I'm looking at is irreplaceably expensive)

So, once again, I look to the wisdom of this forum to settle a dispute between myself and me mom.

Also if anyone wants to brag/share photos of their amber, I'd be delighted. It makes me happy to even look at the stuff!

avalonian

I have an amber pendant that I have been wearing nearly constantly for over three years and it looks as pristine as the day I bought it. I'm not sure if it would be different if it was an amber ring as it may tend to get knocked about, but I can't see how something hanging around your neck could come to any harm by being worn.

If you're being drawn to it then I would say go for it! I had no inclination to buy or wear amber for many years, then it sort of popped into my head that I should buy a piece, I saw and bought the one I am now wearing and wear it most of the time.

:) :) :)

Sophie

I don't see why a piece of resin that is several millions of years old wouldn't last a few more years on your hand or round your neck ;). Just don't leave it in water or near fire.

Like Avalonian, amber is one of those substances I never thought of wearing until I did, and now I can't do without it. I have an amber ring, and a necklace and bracelet made of amber and jet beads - a beautiful and protective combo.

A lot of copal is wrongly sold as amber, and tends to be cheaper because it's softer. I don't know how lasting copal is as jewellery - it is more recent than amber - "only" a couple million years...

tarotlyn

...I have heard that amber brings "romantic" :heart:love...true? anyone?

also that there is a way to test it to see if it is authenic amber...

:):heart:Lyn

avalonian

tarotlyn said:
...I have heard that amber brings "romantic" :heart:love...true? anyone?

:):heart:Lyn

Well if it does, it certainly takes it's time!

:(

diane drizzy

I recently got a few amber pieces, and how I love them! Never had given amber much thought but suddenly had an overwhelming desire to own some. So glad I decided to do so. I own other gemstones, crystals, etc., but somehow (and I think someone else may have said this in a past amber thread) I find amber to be very a humbling experience.