An interesting perspective on The Devil

sharpchick

I was flipping through some notes I'd written about this card, going back three journals' worth.

I don't know where I got it (I should journal those sources, too), but in describing the torment of bondage often represented by the card, I have the following:

We all keep the restless phantoms of our ego desires alive for so long because we continuously feed them with fresh energy.

I can identify so strongly with that statement.

Silver_Skye

Thats actually a really neat perspective... Maybe it takes effect more often if related to the surrounding cards?

I've always thought of the devil to mean bondage, but in the sense that you're taking on responsiblities that will take up your time, good or bad...

Shaymus

Wow, great insight. I think the Devil has so many different layers. Thanks for that.

Shaymus

sharpchick

Silver_Skye said:
Thats actually a really neat perspective... Maybe it takes effect more often if related to the surrounding cards?

I've always thought of the devil to mean bondage, but in the sense that you're taking on responsiblities that will take up your time, good or bad...

Absolutely, context is crucial. There are times when I have needed that smack in the head by the cards.