Antrology and Geomancy

Macavity

I have been trying to find out a bit more about Geomancy. (It's one of a few Tarot correspondance systems that I have yet to (modestly) study that are alluded to occasionally(!) by Crowley). Perhaps this belongs in divination? But stick with me... ;)

At FIRST glance, it does seem (superficially) to be rather BASED on astrology? Most of the figures have planetary associations and there are "houses" too? I am basically in search of (as often?) }) static "meaning" but haven't found a whole lot. There is e.g. Agrippa (hmmmm) and some more modern stuff. But basically, are the meanings (given a planet and house) broadly similar to astrological ones?

E.G. "Rubeus" seems to have "Martian associations" even outside any house...

Just looking for well documented ideas to get a feel for this stuff... :D

Macavity

P.S. D*mn! "Antrology" - Divination based on ANT activities perhaps? (sorry!) :laugh:

Minderwiz

Macavity,

An interesting issue and one to which I have absolutely no idea :)

However you have raised my curiosity and I will get out the ants and do some divining - If I get anything I'll get back to you :)

Macavity

O.K. Then :D

You might like to have a look at: http://www.accessnewage.com/articles/astro/TLOUIS4.htm (by the author of "Tarot Plain and simple") I did find a copy of the original stuff by "Agrippa" on the web. As with most of these things, there seems to be several different conventions for the association of astrology with geomantic figures? I suspect that (as ever?) the Golden Dawn may have it's own...

I suppose the most common (but not very!) reference to the geomantic figures is in the arrangement of the disks in the Thoth's 7 & 8 ("Rubeus" and "Populus" resp.) This is sometimes used e.g. to add weight to the notion of the seven being rather unpleasant...

One cannot help but think, as OFTEN, that Mr Crowley started with a series of patterns, observed one point where the data fits the theory and proceeded accordingly! }) Not that I'm saying this is necessarily a bad thing y'understand... ;)

Macavity

Rusty Neon

Macavity ... I don't have any well-documented ideas on the subject matter of your query but I hope you don't mind if I step in anyway. That said, I'm looking forward to expert views from Aeclecticians.

I have the feeling that the only substantial linkage between geomancy and astrology is that, in geomancy, the geomantic figures are customarily interpreted using what is essentially an astrological house "spread", just like tarot cards or playing cards are sometimes interpreted using astrological house spreads. The base meaning of the geomantic figure located in any particular house is interpreted in the context of the "where" (i.e., the concerns and issues) of the particular house.

Since astrologers used houses, it wasn't a great leap for geomancers (earth diviners) to decide to borrow this idea. In a similar vein, palmistry borrowed concepts from astrology -- in the case of palmistry, not the astrological houses (as did geomancy) but rather the names and characteristics of the planets.

By the way, the principles and techniques of geomancy as illustrated in the OGD materials are pretty much along the lines illustrated in various French language geomancy books I've browsed through at stores.

Rather than because of anything astrological, the base meanings of the geomatic figures appear to flow from interpretations deriving from the name of the figure as suggested by its shape (roughly analogous to how some of the hexagrams of the I Ching - also a form of geomancy - sometimes derive their names). For example, according to the geomancy book that I have and for whose accuracy I can't vouch (_La Géomancie: un art divinatoire_, by Alain Le Kern, who has written a number of books on geomancy), in the case of the geomantic figure Puella ("the girl"): (1) the graphics of the figure "evok[ing] the idea of a mirror; making herself up" ; and (2) the figure as representing the female sex organs.