astrology north and south of the equator

dantarot

I have a question for astrologers, especially for those "down under." In the north Aries begins around April 21, the beginning of Spring. It's the first and a Cardinal sign. Does Aries begin at the same time in Australia or is it reversed. It seems to make sense that it would start December 21 below the equator to carry the Spring energies that I think of with Aries. I welcome your thoughts.

Grigori

Yes its the same time down here too. Ignoring for a minute the difference between the Tropical and Sidereal Zodiac, and also what is actually happening in the sky, which neither represents...

Aries starts when the Sun moves into the area of the sky attributed to Aries (by whatever method you prefer). So it doesn't much matter where on earth you are, its still a straight line from you to the sun and onwards to the appropriate section in space. The only difference is is it day time or night time. Cause the line that starts with you might go directly out into space, or it might have to pass through the earth and out the otherside on the way to the sun.

But doesn't matter which hemisphere your in. We even have the same moon phase happening down here as up there. Though recently I wonder if we don't see the moon from a different angle. Haven't got around to thinking through the maths of that yet, but artistic representation of the moon always show it waxing from the right hand side, but my local moon seems to wax from the upper left.... hmmm...

fina

similia said:
Aries starts when the Sun moves into the area of the sky attributed to Aries (by whatever method you prefer). So it doesn't much matter where on earth you are, its still a straight line from you to the sun and onwards to the appropriate section in space. The only difference is is it day time or night time. Cause the line that starts with you might go directly out into space, or it might have to pass through the earth and out the otherside on the way to the sun.
Not exactly. If you follow the tropical zodiac, Aries is tied to the movement of the Sun, if you follow the sidereal zodiac Aries is tied to the constellation. The two methods are about 20-some days different.

similia said:
But doesn't matter which hemisphere your in. We even have the same moon phase happening down here as up there. Though recently I wonder if we don't see the moon from a different angle. Haven't got around to thinking through the maths of that yet, but artistic representation of the moon always show it waxing from the right hand side, but my local moon seems to wax from the upper left.... hmmm...
The reason we see phases of the moon is due to perspective. I am in Taiwan now and the phases of the moon go from smiley to frowny. Waxing is when the crescent is shaped like a bowl, waning is when the crescent is shaped like a frown. In the southern hemisphere, waxing is a "C" shape and waning is a "D" shape.

Grigori

fina said:
Not exactly. If you follow the tropical zodiac, Aries is tied to the movement of the Sun, if you follow the sidereal zodiac Aries is tied to the constellation. The two methods are about 20-some days different.

Sorry I think I explained that badly fina. I did not mean to imply that the timing is the same with both methods, only that both are about where the sun is in relation to some area of sky. My point was not that the two are the same, but only that both are about drawing a line from the earth, to the sun and onwards to somewhere. So it doesnt matter which hemisphere your in, cause the line comes from the centre out towards the sun.

fina said:
The reason we see phases of the moon is due to perspective. I am in Taiwan now and the phases of the moon go from smiley to frowny. Waxing is when the crescent is shaped like a bowl, waning is when the crescent is shaped like a frown. In the southern hemisphere, waxing is a "C" shape and waning is a "D" shape.

That makes sense, thanks muchly :)

fina

similia said:
Sorry I think I explained that badly fina. I did not mean to imply that the timing is the same with both methods, only that both are about where the sun is in relation to some area of sky. My point was not that the two are the same, but only that both are about drawing a line from the earth, to the sun and onwards to somewhere. So it doesnt matter which hemisphere your in, cause the line comes from the centre out towards the sun.
oh, i see. :)

dadsnook2000

A common question

This is a common question which, I believe, is prompted in many cases by those books that address the "manual" processes of erecting a horoscope for the southern hemisphere and the instructions for using a book of "house cusps" wherein the houses/signs go through a reversal process. This stuff only relates to the semi-arc between the Asc. and MC for tables constructed only for the northern hemisphere.

A year or so ago this came up and I ran several charts for Australia, the islands north of there and Japan all having the same MC. The Asc. sign/degree varied only due to latitude within a small degree. So, everything stays pretty much the same.

As far as the Moon goes, the issue of parallax is a hot topic on some of today's websites. Most computer software calculates the Moon's position as seen from the center of the earth -- this is typically the default setting. Some programs allow you to specify corrections for parallax. Parallax is the different viewing angle as seem from various positions on Earth, this may affect the Moon's apparent sign/degree position by several degrees. Many claim that transit-timing is greatly improved by using the Parallax Moon.

Just some thoughts. Dave