Astrology Software

wizzle

Hi ya'll. I'm new <<waving>>

I didn't see any recommendations for software in the resources section or after a quick scan of the last couple of years threads.

What do you all use? I used to do calculations by hand (back in the dark ages) but now use astrolog (for about the last 10 years).

http://www.astrolog.org/astrolog.htm

It's free. It's easy. It doesn't have every bell and whistle in the world, but it prints an acceptable chart, does natal and progress calculations and transits just fine. That's about all I need. There are plenty of options for house systems, etc.

What do you use? Any recommendations for other free software?

Personally, I don't have the time or patience for hand calculation. I'm sure I used to get most of the charts wrong anyway. A program like astrolog takes less than an hour to download, install and learn. I'd agonize over each hand-done chart for hours!!

dadsnook2000

A range of software

The software you need and use has to reflect the areas and levels of astrology that you practice or wish to learn. I can understand using "free" software but I also understand how limiting it can be -- for me. When you wish to explore or practice locational astrology and need rising/culminating/setting maps for the world, or you want to do various types of Solar/Lunar Returns, or engage in mid-point analysis, or do research on a database of client's charts -- then you need something else. Freeware, as it is sometimes called, can trip you up in little areas; it's internal atlas (if it has one) may not be as accurate as a commercial software's; the number and types of charts that can be displayed may be limited; the types of astrology procedures that it offers may be limited (this prevents you from learning other and newer things); it may not give you a range of customization tools so that you can choose the planets, asteroids, aspects and aspect-orbs that you would prefer (especially variable orbs depending upon the planets involved).

So, if you are just starting out, freeware is fine. If you want to grow, then you need serious software. And that has to be paid for. Its well worth it. Dve

wizzle

thanks

Thanks Astraea for the link to the earlier discussion. I was glad to see that Astrolog got such good reviews. But, as dad pointed out, you get what you pay for. I'll never be all that serious an astrologer. I'm more like a serious diletant who likes to read about astrology. Now that I'm retired, I have too many other interests, growing good tomatos being at the top of my "to do" list.

I'd like to refine my original question. What I'm looking for is a simple, cheap program with outstanding graphics. A program where natal charts can be saved in various formats, gifs, jpgs etc. My aim is to combine the natal chart with my fractal artwork (see my website). So the visual stuff like colors, fonts etc. is more important to me than a zillion different charts.

Astraea

Oh, how I love homegrown tomatoes! It's almost time to plant them, can't wait.

I don't know the answer to your software question, in terms of interfacing with graphic art programs -- not familiar with those. Much would probably depend on whether you use a Mac or a PC, too. I know that you can save files in a variety of formats within the Io Timecycles program for Mac, and on the PC most of the better astrology programs will do the same.

My advice is to telephone or e-mail the friendly, helpful folks at http://www.astrologysoftwareshop.com and explain what you want to do -- they will help you to find exactly the best software solutions. Their prices are reasonable and they are so knowledgeable about all the programs they sell.