bad aura?

Smokey_Quartz

I bought a Thoth deck from B&N a few days ago. When I got home I had a bad feeling about them. When I opened the deck and inspected it I saw that the Chariot card was damaged, the bottom left hand corner was torn off. When I looked through the cards I had a very bad "feeling". Most of the cards I focused on gave me dark feelings and kind of depressed me, the art work didn't seem nearly as atractive as they had when i lookled them up on the internet.

I went back to barnes and noble the next day and exchanged the deck for an undamaged one. When I brought this one home it felt "lighter" a lot more neutral, and i felt a lot better about the deck. The art work seemed beautiful. I was wondering if when a deck is created and one of the cards is damaged does it ruin the deck for readings. has anyone else had an experience like this?

Ruby7

The way that you felt about the first deck is how I feel about the Thoth deck in general.

I always feel sick to my stomach whenever I look at the cards or try to read with them. Having such a strong reaction, I imagine I could do great readings with these cards if I could only get beyond my initial reaction.

Personally, I think that we unconsciously "decide" how we are going to feel about things.

The cards are only pieces of paper with pictures and the way that we feel about them comes from us (pre-conceived ideas, past experiences, mood of the hour, weather, health, amount of sugar eaten :) brain chemicals etc etc) in my opinion.

All the best,
Ruby7

TenOfSwords

Smokey_Quartz said:
I was wondering if when a deck is created and one of the cards is damaged does it ruin the deck for readings. has anyone else had an experience like this?

I have similar experience elsewhere where a simple flaw just spoils it all, making it ugly. To me it has to do with the flaw changing the overall meaning of whatever it belongs to. I think a Tarot deck is very sensitive in that regard to most people in that it's a collected thing, a whole, and flawing a minor part of it changes the whole into something ugly.

Edge

Smokey_Quartz said:
I was wondering if when a deck is created and one of the cards is damaged does it ruin the deck for readings. has anyone else had an experience like this?

I wouldn't say that it does. But I would certainly be upset if a "new" deck fresh out of the box was damaged. I'm sure I would NOT choose to work with it in that condition.