Basil Seeds

fina

I've just discovered Basil Flower seeds at the Night Market here. The guy mixed dried seeds with water and lemon or kiwi juice and the waited a bit. The seeds then formed a gelatinous exterior and were delicious. Kind of like bubble tea.

So I tried google-ing "Basil Flower Seeds" and didn't find much useful. Does anyone know if the flower seeds differ in health qualities from the leaves? Or if there are separate magical properties to the seeds?

Thanks in advance

fina

Really?

<bump>

No one knows anything? hmmm.

GenoviaJ

The closes thing I know - and I was just thinking of it last night, is that sweet basil oil is good for nerve pain.

fina

I've read about the oil, but I'm not sure if the oil is extracted from the seed as well as the leaf.

Did just find this which suggest the leaf and seed have similar properties:

"Basil

Preliminary trials of holy basil (Ocimim sanctum) leaves and hairy basil (Ocimum canum) seeds have shown that these herbs may help people with type 2 diabetes control their blood sugar levels.232, 233, 234 An uncontrolled study reported that 1,000 mg per day of holy basil lowered blood sugar, LDL ("bad") cholesterol, and triglycerides,235 while a controlled trial tested 2,500 mg per day and found similar changes in blood sugar, but only minor effects on total blood cholesterol.236 The mechanism of action of holy basil leaf is not understood and it is unknown whether common culinary sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum) would have similar effects."

From Mount Auburn Hospital information for diabetes.