Books on numerology

divinemsm

I am searching for a good, solid book on numerology. They all seem to have the fluffy sort of "change your life through numbers!" schpiel that just drives me nuts. I just want the meaning of the numbers themselves, maybe in relation to the tarot. But none of the hokey stuff. Does this book actually exist?

desperately,
Laurie

rwcarter

Post 7 in the Tarot Books & Media Index contains the only book on Tarot and Numerology that I have in my collection. I've been meaning to add a section to the Index for books on Numerology (even if not related to Tarot), but haven't gotten around to it.

Rodney

The crowned one

"The universal history of numbers : from prehistory to the invention of the computer" / Georges Ifrah ; translated from the French by David Bellos is quite likely the most eye opening book on numbers I ever read.

I felt "The music of Pythagoras : how an ancient brotherhood cracked the code of the universe and lit the path from antiquity to outer space" / Kitty Ferguson meanders in and out of numbers but gives insight into Pythagorean numerology, without the new-age baggage.

These are two good books to set you in a direction of choice. "The Universal history of numbers" is mandatory reading in my mind.

divinemsm

thank you for your responses. I will look into the books you suggest. It is so hard to find decent books on numerology without all the fluff. I have pulled bits and pieces off line and from a few of the Wicca and Witchcraft books I have with regards to very basic numerology. I am actually finding it really helpful for learning and remembering the minors when jumping from deck to deck. Some decks have fantastic symbology that makes it easy to pull the meaning out to the artwork whereas others are a little woolly to where I need a little extra help.
Thank you again for the help.
Nameste
Laurie

Martie

The mystery of numbers--Annemarie Schimmel (Oxford University Press, 1993, translated from German). The book is not about numerology, but it tells you why people (including numerologists) associate numbers with certain concepts. Scholarly but very easy to read, and very useful to understand number associations in Tarot.
Martie

weaver

Martie said:
The mystery of numbers--Annemarie Schimmel (Oxford University Press, 1993, translated from German). The book is not about numerology, but it tells you why people (including numerologists) associate numbers with certain concepts. Scholarly but very easy to read, and very useful to understand number associations in Tarot.
Martie
This book looks really interesting, Martie. I ordered it today. Thanks for the lead!

Eyes Wide Open

There's a fairly new one called Glynnis has your number...it has some fluff, but it is easy to read and understand. The work we did with it seemed accurate.

The author's first name is Glynnis. Unfortunately, I don't remember her last name, but I'm sure goggle will help you :D.