Brotherly love?

Fostha

Need a bit of help:confused: ,can the kn.o.cups show up to indicate brotherly love being offered rather than the romantic kind,or could it indicate a sibling simply offering words what they think/believe your wanting to hear? I'd appreciate any other ideas with this now. Thanks

rwcarter

When I first took up tarot, I learned to think of the KnC as courtly love, so brotherly love isn't that far a stretch.

Rodney

Alissa

He indicates a time when emotions are running high, but are difficult to express (and therefore, to put into action/motion, to realize or to actualize).

Whether that emotion is romantic, brotherly, platonic or sexual really wouldn't matter so much as the fact that this person is feeling these feelings deeply, and is somewhat reticent (or just plain unable) to express them, and/or to act upon them.

The card could reflect on a business deal just as much as a relationship, so don't get locked into the notion the K of Cups is "the Lover" as he's often stereotyped.

Unrealized passion can indicate a professional desire to bring something into being (a business, a project, whatever) but being unable to do so, due to finances, timing, or any other obstacle.

IN essence, the K of Cups means the emotions are there, and plentiful, but they aren't *going* anywhere. They just exist, and need more direction.

Fostha

Alissa said:
Unrealized passion can indicate a professional desire to bring something into being (a business, a project, whatever) but being unable to do so, due to finances, timing, or any other obstacle.

IN essence, the K of Cups means the emotions are there, and plentiful, but they aren't *going* anywhere. They just exist, and need more direction.
That kinda makes some sense. How about if the emotions there are for another male,but there's an obstacle in the way of them being expressed openly,could kn.o.c simply just indicate one saying what they think the other wanted to hear....geez i hope im making sense here.

Thirteen

Of all the Knights, the Knight/Cups is the most courtly (and involved in courtly love as R. said). But that also means that he makes poetic/romantic/selfless/sacrificial gestures, and goes on spiritual quests after holy grails. He is exactly the sort who would sits at the round table with his brother knights ;)

Which makes me think that if any knight was going to show brotherly love, it'd be the Knight/Cups. A Knight/Wands would be more in competition with fellow knights--maybe friendly competition, but still always vying to see which of them could win the race. A Knight/Cups (cups standing for family), would always think of his fellow knights as his family. Their wins are his wins. He'll fight by them and for them, help them, sacrifice for them.

So yes, brotherly love--but on an idealistic scale rather than on the playful scale of a page/cups or the more mature scale of a king/cups.

SunChariot

Fostha said:
Need a bit of help:confused: ,can the kn.o.cups show up to indicate brotherly love being offered rather than the romantic kind,or could it indicate a sibling simply offering words what they think/believe your wanting to hear? I'd appreciate any other ideas with this now. Thanks

Your cards are your tools to use as you will. You can let any card mean whatever you choose it to mean as long as you're consisent so the powers that be that send the answers understand what system you are using.

For what it's worth, that card does not necessarily mean love to me at all. To start with I take the element of the card (Cups) which is about feelings, not necessarily love but any kind of feeling. Then I use the Knights to indicate someone who has some knowledge of his suit, has read about it...but has no real life experience with it yet.

So the Knight of Cups for me is simply someone facing a new kind of feeling for the first time and not 100% sure what to make of it. He's heard of others feeling that way, but he has never felt it before for himself. And whatever feelings stem from that...might be confusion, insecurity...

But the point is, you are the one who decides what you want your cards to mean to you. Tarot is more of a follow your heart and soul thing thana follow the rules one. :grin:

Babs