Buckland Romani - The Minors and the Seasons

strings of life

Each of the suits of the Minor Arcana in the Buckland Romani Tarot has a season associated with it. I wanted to put the cards order, working through the Minors before the Majors and decided to put cards in their seasonal order. I normally don't use seasons in my readings; the only deck that comes to mind is the Tarot of the Trees), but am open to using them if the symbolism seems rich enough and it makes sense to bring up in a reading. Every reading is different, right?

I haven't read the companion book yet because I want to see how I interpret each cards first, focusing on my connection to the symbolism that calls out to me, but I'll read up on each card after I work with them.

The book mentions Spring in the suit of Wheels (Bolers) in the description for the 10 of Bolers (Wheels): "It is Spring or an early summer day...". It makes sense that the 10 is the last card in the suit before the Court cards. I couldn't find a mention of summer in the book, but most of the cards show scenes at dusk. You can almost feel the hot sun relieving its duty for the night. Only one card in the suit, the 10 of Koros (Cups), shows a clear blue sky. Autumn is mentioned in the description for 8 of Koshes (Staves): "This card portrays an autumn scene...". And finally, the suit of Chivs (Knives) mentions winter in the Ace of Chivs (Knives): "A winter scene...".

So the order (which is how the Minor Arcana are listed in the companion book):

Bolers (Wheels) - Spring

Kors (Cups) - Summer

Koshes (Staves) - Autumn/Fall

Chivs (Knives) - Winter

When looking at the cards, the seasonal symbolism in this deck resonates with me, I'm sure largely due to how the cards are drawn. Bolers (Wheels) show grass fields for spring as does Kors (Cups) for summer. Koshes (Staves) has harvested wheat. Chivs (Knives) has snow.

Do you agree or disagree with the seasons used in this deck?

Quester

I had never paid attention to the seasons in this deck, but now that I am noticing this I like the seasons as they are depicted! Shows how unobservant I have been. I have got to get my act together!! :grin:

strings of life

I never noticed them until I started wondering why the companion book started with Wheels/Bolers!

The seasons really add a twist to the card meanings...if you want to include them.

Madame Squee

Thank you for starting this thread, aurarcana!

These Buckland Romani associations with the seasons make the most sense to me, and they are easy to remember, because each suit is so beautifully and skillfully colored to achieve its effect.

The winter colors are my favorite, full of B&W drama, like an old western from '52... High Noon. The Chivs have that kind of impact on me.

KristinCali

I love the seasons associated with the suits! I have the Wheel of the Year deck which uses the same seasons for the suits. It really helps me create emotional connections to the cards. For me, winter is not an easy season to get through (even though it CAN have enjoyable aspects) just like the suit of swords. Oppositely, summer seems to fly by with fun vacations and happy times, like the suit of chalices.

Tarot of Trees also has seasons but they are switched from the traditional associations.