Can a deck "screw with" you?

Melisandre

I know a deck is just paper and ink, but this is the first time I've had something like this happen.

I'm feeling nervous because I'm late (ahem, sorry to any guys reading this) and although I'm in a committed relationship, pregnancy is not exactly in my gameplan right now.

I pull some cards and ask if I am pregnant.

Lo and behold, the 10/Cups comes out next to The Empress. I pull a clarifying card for The Empress and it's the Queen/Pents.

I ask if I'll get my period by the end of the week. Page/Wands, Knight/Cups, 6/Cups

THEN I ask what would be the result of a pregnancy test. Queen/Coins, 6/Cups, Page/Wands.

This is a new deck, and I'm figuring out how it reads, but this isn't doing anything to ease my anxieties. I'm anal about my birth control and would be very surprised to learn I was pregnant.

So my question to you is if this could mean anything other than what I'm fearing the most? Have you ever experienced a deck "screwing" with you? Could it be that I'm somehow choosing the cards I'm most afraid of (in this case)?

Anna

You sound like you are too close to this. The cards are reflecting your fears not the reality.

One big thing I've learned over the years is to never read when emotions are running high. The readings are never accurate.

Melisandre

You sound like you are too close to this. The cards are reflecting your fears not the reality.

One big thing I've learned over the years is to never read when emotions are running high. The readings are never accurate.

::::huuuuge sigh of relief::::

Thanks for your input, Anna. I very much hope this is the truth!

Oddly enough I did another reading asking why the deck kept saying I was pregnant, and the central card of that reading was the 9/Swords....maybe there's something to that.

Perhaps I should just relax for now.

Carla

I don't think a deck can screw with you, but you can screw with yourself. I'd say put away the cards and go get a pregnancy test. Those cards don't have to mean pregnancy. If you don't want to be pregnant, 10 of Cups with the Empress could just as easily mean you creating your happiness by NOT being pregnant. The Queen of Pentacles might be you in control of your own body. Maybe the Page of Wands is delivering a 6 of Cups message that you get to stay in your 'innocence', ie childless state. It's possible. I'd say, take the test. :) And I agree with Anna that the tarot has a habit of reflecting what you're feeling. It loves to do that!

raventepes

In my experience, all decks have their own personality and flair. You can have two identical decks, like say two brand new, still in their packaging and plastic wrap Thoth decks. You could ask both decks the same question, and they could have very different feels to them. One deck could read very stern and serious, and the other could have a more playful side.

I don't view a deck as a series of ink images on paper, per se. First of all, a deck is printed on card stock, which is paper, which is made from trees. Trees, like any other organic life, have their own spirit. Just like there are people and animals in this world which have their own personality, so do cards.

Of course, this is a matter of opinion, which is free to debate.

Richard

I think most of us would agree that Tarot is much more than just ink and paper. As the subtitle to P. F. Case's book The Tarot indicates, it is A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages. However, it is still inanimate. It may seem to have a life of its own, but it is really our own life force projected onto the cards. Tarot itself cannot possibly screw with anyone.

gregory

Oddly enough I did another reading asking why the deck kept saying I was pregnant, and the central card of that reading was the 9/Swords....maybe there's something to that.

Says it all. You are seeing your nightmare because you are so afraid of it.

Melisandre

Looks like it must have been a case of being too close to the situation - I am officially NOT pregnant. Thank goodness :)

La Force

Looks like you have a happy ending after all, hmmmm you may want to write this down in your journal for this deck. How your emotions reflected on the cards and how the deck ran wild with you fear. This deck sounds like it's a Jim Carrey (mask) type deck. ie: Mask. There is another movie character that sits in my mind. The 80's movie with the character who wear a black and white stripped outfit, it starts out that if you call him by name 3 time, he will come out (mini town ) and he toys with the girl and guy in the movie, their fears, etc. Darn I hate that when that happens and your not able to remember. you watch it will probably hit me 3 am.

La Force

ETA: Ha I remember, Beetle Juice. There you have it Beetle Juice Mixed with Jim Carrey. enjoy your new deck.:heart: