Can someone teach me the cosmic axis?

anubis

hmm, i am not sure if i am right about the name of the spread. i came across this spread in a book sometime ago... if i remember correctly, there supposed to be 5 cards, placed something like this

fyreflye

This spread was in Elizabeth Hazel's Tarot Decoded, but I no longer have the book and can't recall it.

Gardener

I checked in Tarot Decoded at the bookstore...

The spread is laid out:

xxxxxxx 5 xxxxxxx

1 xxxxx 2 xxxxx 3

xxxxxxx 4 xxxxxxx

The first description follows astrological concepts. 1 is the self, 3 is the other, 4 is the root of the situation and 5 is the outcome. 2 is the hinge of the situation, the axis. [Personally, I don't know why this is an astrological concept, but that's what they said.]

Then there was some description about Jung and Sense, Perception, Thinking and Intuiting although I may have the categories wrong, but it definitely brought Briggs-Myers to mind.

They also said it was the basis for a larger spread, the Twelve Houses.

It was all rather confusing.

I found a much more nifty Cosmic Axis spread in the book which accompanies the Haindl Rune Oracle. It is laid out...

10 xxxxx 9 xxxxx 11
xxxxxxxx 8 xxxxxxxx
6 xxxxxx 5 xxxxxx 7
xxxxxxxx 4 xxxxxxxx
2 xxxxxx 1 xxxxxx 3

And there is an optional significator under the 5. Bottom tier is past, middle is present, top is future. Middle column represents a major influence, left is subconscious response, right is conscious response. Cards 4 and 8 provide influences linking past to present, present to future.

ooooh, as I read, it gets better. The book is by Nigel Pennick, by the way. There is an alternative way to read, based on "Northern Tradition spirituality," whatever that is. Bottom line is Annwyn, the Abyss, the realm of unmanifested souls. Card 4 denotes the spiritual evolution into the material plane. Middle line is Abred, middle earth, material manifestation. Card 8 is whatever blocks or aids our ascent to the higher plane, top line, Gwynvyd, the abode of the divine power. Neat, huh? Lines are read across as unconscious, present actuality, and conscious condition. This may be too deep for me, but I think I'll give it a whirl anyway.

Hope you've enjoyed the digression, anubis.

anubis

hey... thanks for your effort. Like what you have said, i think it is really too deep for me too. haha

Gardener

No problem, I like research! The one you were asking about seems like a straightforward spread, I just didn't understand some of the correlations the book wanted to add to it, the astrology and the Jung. But the basic (Self, Other, Root, Outcome, Axis), that seems like a useful spread.

I read over the long description of the other Cosmic Axis spread, the one in the Runes book. I admit, I had to read it a few times. I think it might make a good spread for a person who has specific questions about his or her spiritual development. But it would take a lot of concentration. Someday, maybe.

There are a gazillion other five-card spreads in the Tarot Spread Index thread, have you rummaged in there yet? It's lots of fun!

mooncat2

:)
Hi anubis,

I use Elizabeth Hazell's Cosmic Axis often - its really very simple and useful for any type of question.

1. Self /Querant
2.. Current perspective/ Central idea
3. The Other - can be person, place, situation
4. Foundation/Past
5. Future.

The second card holds extra importance because it is the only one connected to all the others.
123 can be read as a trio as can 425.
1435 - read as a circle surrounding the centre card.

Great spread - try it!