Card Counting--Help! :0

Somnilocus

I'm trying to learn about Card Counting, but the information I've found thus far is very confusing... I've read posts on here, and the articles on SuperTarot.co.

Do Aces count as 11? What do the Court Cards count as? And once you've found the pattern... then what?

Aaaaany help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

rainwolf

Duquette's "Understanding the Crowley Tarot" has a well written chapter on this.

Knights, queens, and princes, count 4.
Princesses, count 7
Aces, count 11
Small cards according to the number.
Trumps:
--3 for elemental
--9 for planetary
--12 for zodiacal

Im not sure what you mean by 'then what'. Are you asking how to card count in general?

Somnilocus

Thank you! Exactly what I needed to know. :)

"Then what" -- sorry. >w< I mean... the purpose of Card Counting is to create a "story" in a way? But that description is so vague. Basically, what is the actual purpose of Card Counting? What is the relevance of the positions?

Again, thanks for your help. :)

Nholdamek

The positions have no meanings. You literally just create a story out of it.

Are you using the OOTK? This uses card counting a lot.

Basically you look for connections between the significator and other important cards, perhaps other court cards to see how he/she is interacting with other people in this situation. Notice the cards you never hit; are they mostly of one suit? The querent may be ignoring some aspect related to that suit. Mostly cups, probably not paying attention to feeling or intuition. Wands, lack of motivation, etc.

The cards counted after the significator, I mostly take to mean what the significator must go through. for some of them you can check their astrological associations for timing (I've done this with great success, nailing an event to within a week of its actual date).

There are some examples on that supertarot site I think.

Somnilocus

Thank you both. :)

Somnilocus

Actually, I have one more question. When you count... ah, I guess it's easier to show:

[3 of Wands] [ ] [X] [O]

So you have four cards, as shown above. You want to start counting from the 3 of Wands. Would you land on X, or O? In other words, do you count the card you start from? Thanks. :)

Nholdamek

Somnilocus said:
Actually, I have one more question. When you count... ah, I guess it's easier to show:

[3 of Wands] [ ] [X] [O]

So you have four cards, as shown above. You want to start counting from the 3 of Wands. Would you land on X, or O? In other words, do you count the card you start from? Thanks. :)

Yes; you would land on X.

Somnilocus

Thanks. :)

archer1

Israel Regardie , Duquette , Alister Crowley and Paul Foster Case have publications that explain the counting system rather plainly within the Openning of the Key spread.