Card meanings in general, how does Tarot work and such

Grizabella

I thought this might be of interest to some of the newer readers who are always wondering about card meanings.

Everyone relates to the cards in their own unique, very personal way. That's why you see people saying they have such different takes on the same cards. What any given card means to any person is unique to them. That's the way the cards "speak" to us and why having lots and lots of experience using them is so important. That's also why some people make journals to record readings in----to see these patterns and recognize what the cards are saying to us.

On the other hand, there are some basic, general things to be learned that are the foundation for you to work with as you gain more experience.

Also, maybe this will help people understand why we say "the magic is in you, it's not in the cards". And why they say, "it depends on the other cards in the spread". And why they use the term "the way your cards speak to you" and why when posting a spread for the feedback of others, you'll get such a differing set of answers.

Using RWS imagery, the 9 of Swords shows someone sitting up in bed, head in hands as though in great emotional pain or fear and 9 Swords pointing down at their head. This card, based on my own life and personal experiences, brings to mind night terrors I had as a child and younger person. And of how terrified I was when I was sleeping in the attic with holes in the roof where I could see lightning flashing and where my step-father took animals to slit their throats. Pet animals sometimes. Those are like nightmares on steroids. Or DT's, which are hallucinations that happened when I was detoxing when I was getting sober. Or the flashbacks I had and still do have about a life-threatening experiences I had with a stalker. Mercifully, not everyone will have personal meanings of that nature so their information from the card would be much different than mine. That card doesn't always conjure up anything that dire when I see it in a reading, but my point is that my mind triggers different messages with the cards than the next person might. It's those intangible impressions and buried memories along with the memories we do remember that will give us information in a reading and that we learn to interpret.

Another example is the Moon card. To me, the Moon is almost sinister in some cases. But to Babs, it's very romantic. That doesn't mean either of us interpret the card "wrong", it just means that because of our own life experiences, when that card enters into a reading, our cards trigger whatever meanings are personal to us for the card. I've known a lot of mentally unstable and abnormal people in my lifetime and much of what happened to me that was outstanding in any way happened at night. Sexual abuse, a stalker slinking around, a family member having peaks of mental illness crisis during the full moon, most of my drinking experiences, working in an emergency room in a hospital, working in a state institution,----those things are all part of my "moon associations" along with beautiful memories of a full moon over the ocean, Halloween season with beautiful big harvest moons, etc. that might apply in a reading to give a happier message. My life has involved extremes of ugly and beautiful, by the way. Thank goodness not everyone has to say that. It's stressful. :p

As we learn to use our decks, everything we've lived and thought and known in our lifetimes is in our subconscious and will be the basis of the "language" a deck "speaks" to us with. The Universe (or Powers That Be, or whatever) uses our subconscious and the way the cards trigger impressions in our minds as the way they transmit their messages to us. That's as close as I can come to explaining how they work. Your deck or decks
gradually, with use and study, come to "speak" to you in what you might call a "spiritual language". That's a language totally unique to you and nobody else. Others might have a similar (in some ways) language that their cards speak to them through, but when you do a reading those cards in front of you are using that unique "language" to give you the message and the longer you use the cards, the more developed this language will be and the more comfortable and confident you'll be in using them.

My advice is not to doubt yourself and think everyone else has the "right" meanings and "right" answers and you might not. Just be confident that the process of learning is going on and will eventually mature till you're "fluent" when conversing with the cards.

SunChariot

I think this is a very good and useful thread Griz. Thank you for starting it. I thnk it would be helpful to newer readers to see this. I know a lot seem to doubt themselves and think that others know the answers better than they do because they are new. When really no one but they can know what their cards are saying. Our cards talk to each of us in a unique language.

You're right, The Moon is generally a very pleasant card for me. Not only is it about romance, but also my zodiac sign is Cancer and the moon is my ruling planet. So I personally have THAT association too. And I trust that whatever is in charge of ruling my life is not going to harm me in any way. That too is a personal association, as of course not all readers are Cancers.

Anyway I do think this is a very useful thread that newer readers can learn a lot from And also, even though we all have some hard times in our past, I am sorry to hear of some of the experinces you described. And I admire the courage to just up and talk so openly about it.

All the best Griz,

Babs

PAMUYA

Thank you for this thread. Some of us come from different card reading backgrounds other than Tarot. Card reading was handed down to me by my mother, and hers from her mother, we used a regular deck of playing cards. I never read a book on tarot or card reading until I found this forum 5 years ago(35 years since I started reading cards). I never felt that I had to, my readings have always been accurate, not saying I have never been wrong :) . When I give an opinion on a card, it is what literally pops into my head, what that means: number and suits have meanings for me(I have been doing this for 40 years). Having "pictures" on the cards is very new to me, took me awhile to actually use the pictures for intuition.

The problem I had with tarot was learning the Majors, this was totally new to me, and I love them. My family had thought I had gone "NEW AGE" when I showed up with a tarot deck. When I showed them the tarot book, I nearly got laughed out of the house. I am not saying that they do not respect Tarot, it is just that card reading goes back generations, and refering to books or authors is not the way I was taught. Basic numbers, suits and intiution. As my mother use to say.. "what are the cards telling you, be still and listen".

I do agree that there are basics to the meanings of the cards. Which to my surprise when I first started, my family's card meanings were very close to tarot meanings. Number and suits have basic meanings. We need these meanings so there is a common language for us to use and communicate with. There will be times when we see things differently because of our experience with the cards. If I have certain cards that pop up as the same meaning over and over, I will look at that card in that way first, and move on if it does not fit.

I love to hear other opinions on the cards, it gives me new insights (an old dog can learn new tricks). I was taught that cards have meanings and try not to "spin" it. Meaning suffering happens, more so than not. It is not better to accept the truth unstead of struggling with it, if you face suffering head on it can be dealt with and then true happiness can be reached. The cards are information.. not good, not bad, information is powerful for us to make decisions. If the information is clouded with butterflies and rainbows we will continue to suffer because we continue to struggle with the truth.
I hope I made sense, I am not good with the written word, or putting my thoughts into words.

The reason I wrote this is for those who actually read cards for others, and for the those who study for their own spritual growth. I have had many readings done for me at fairs and book stores, I did not tell them that I read cards myself. During these readings cards will come up and I know what they foretell, but instead of telling me the truth, the reader "sugar coated" the meaning, not giving me the actual reading and message from the cards. The cards give the full spectrum of life, which we all live in. If there is light, there must be shadows. We must be honest with ourselves and our clients, they deserve it. Don't hit them over the head with the truth, let them know gently.

You must learn to read the cards "your way". There is no right or wrong, just be honest with yourself.

About the Moon: I do agree it can be romance, but just that, living in a dream, at some point you will wake up and it will be over. If I see the Moon it is time to take a good look to see if it is real. ;) It could be real or not. Romance and Love are two different things, although many of us think that one automaticly leads to the other. Romance is an illusion of love. Love comes/starts after a relationship is built or is building. *My meaning is not right or wrong, it is my meaning and how I read it.

I have got to get off to the gym, hope I left you scratching your head wondering what this crazy old woman is saying.