Carving/Painting of Crystals

Kahlie

Dear people,

Last night I came to the lumious idea to carve some stuff into crystals or see if I could paint something on them... I wondered if this is possible with all of the stones or not? It should just be simple lines...

I don't have much stones at the moment, but I thought that if I wanted a set, I best buy 'palmstones' since those are already made flat...

Kahlie

Runedancer

I know you can paint things on stones, after all, that is mostly how rune stones made of crystals are made, by painting the runes on them. I don't know exactly how it is done though.

floracove

I received a tiger's eye, with runes for protection, painted on it.
To me, it looks like the silver paint that's used for painting car model's.

A paint that will not wash off should be just fine, I'd think...

Elven

Flat river stones work very well, so does Soap Stone (soft and carvable), and crystals. You can buy specialty paints which are durable and waterproof, some come in pen form. Most of these are available from larger craft stores. If you need, you can laqueur the stone after putting on your design, just prepare them well so the paint will stick properly;).

Some stones are very hard and require tools if you need to make impressions in them. Wear a mask and eyeglasses as some stones chip and the very fine dust is yucky for your lungs ;)

Blessings
Elven x

Chronata

Carving is hard! But a dremmel tool with a diamond tip can do some amazing things...even on stones with a high toughness rating!

But it takes some control, and precision,... and patience, with I apparently could use more of! LOL!

I do like painting on stones. I use enamels made for glass and ceramic which can be baked in an oven to produce a hard fired result that doesn't come off easily.

Alas...some waxy stones, like the river rocks that are shiny, and oddly...rose quartz (I think it's the dyes!)don't retain the paint in a very permanant way.

of course, if you aren't going to keep them in a bag , all knocking against each other, it may not matter! :D

Chronata

Just thought of another option...if you are using clear stones like quartz...try using an acid etching cream!

you can make the symbol frosted, or make the whole stone look frosty with the symbol clear...

the results can be magnificent!

Kahlie

Well,

I thought long and hard on this. I still think that the runic drawings I made would look good carved on the stones... but... I bought palmstones and those are rather expensive! I would probably feel very bad if something happened to my Chevron Amethyst Palmstone...

I also thought about the paint, but I don't like the artificial layer on the stones... And no I wasn't planning on putting them in a bag =) They are displayed the 4 of them... and I hope to add the remaining 3 soon.

I decided to make a small card deck instead, and draw them on that, and then pick the appropriate stone just by hand =)

Kahlie