Changing tastes.....

redflash

My tastes in tarot have changed a lot since I really started studying it more. At first I loved futuristic stuff like the Quest tarot. I hated anything manga, any classical type tarot, etc etc.

Now suddenly I am adding decks to my wishlist that I detested a while ago. As an example, the first time I saw the Baroque Bohemian Cats & the Fantastic Menagerie I hated them. But now I think they are absolutely beautiful, & yes, they're on my wishlist ! I am starting to like the Lunatic tarot & am hoping to read with it soon. I thought it was too far from the tarot I know but it's definitely growing on me.

Didn't like the Tarot of Prague or the tarot of the Dead but both are on my wishlist now. I didn't expect my tastes to change as much as they have, or as quickly !

Is this something you have noticed of your own tarot tastes ? Or am I just fickle ? !
xx

Crowqueen

No, you're just human.

I swore when I started I wouldn't buy more than one deck. OK, make it two, because my first one was the Avalon Tarot and I need a Rider-Waite clone. No, three, because I like the Morgan-Greer's pictures more than the rather bland Sharman-Caselli. Just tarot, no oracles. Erm...what did I buy off you again?!

As regarding tastes...my preference is for illustrated minors, which would rule out Marseille, Swiss etc (and their modern equivalents, which don't have the same resonance anyway). But I have ordered a Thoth, which is a kind of bridge between the RWS system of illustration and the old pip cards, as a stepping stone between old system and new system.

So now I'm just thinking, well, if I find a deck attractive at the time, I'll get it, and I can always trade it or sell it on eBay if I find I don't like it.

The Fantastic Menagerie has grabbed me, but if I check it out now on Amazon I just know I'll blow all my holiday money on a copy, so when I get back from Aberystwyth I might just see if I can get myself one...!!!

redflash

I prefer illustrated pips aswell. I got the tarot of eden from an ATer, it's beautiful but the pips do nothing for me at all. I have been wondering if I should just use the majors but I like having the whole deck. I will try to trade it. But no interest so far !
xx

Crowqueen

Another issue of taste, I guess. I find reading using the majors only is like drawing with oil pastels. You get a nice effect, but I miss the ability to get a real feel for the detail of the situation rather than just an overall image.

You're right about the Tarot of Eden - sometimes illustrated pips can display something from the way they are arranged or the decoration surrounding them (e.g. Thoth). Those are just...plain. You might find you can sell it on eBay though, probably a wider market of people just looking for any old tarot deck to practice with rather than people here who probably have moved on beyond the beginning stage.

I have been chatting to Sulis on another thread though and she suggested browsing the Marseille forum to see how others respond to pips rather than imagery.

Abrac

redflash said:
Is this something you have noticed of your own tarot tastes ?
My basic taste is still the same - occult and symbolic decks. But I have noticed myself gradually taking an interest in some decks I previously had no interest in at all - the Grand Etteilla for one.

-fof

magpie9

I think a lot of it is that as we grow in tarot, we find we have more room for it's variety than we at first thought. Some of it is the sheer beauty of a different type of deck...the fully illustrated minors are my first love, and an easy read for me. But then I was drawn to decks that had "Moody minors" like the Thoth, and it's clones. So I pulled that together, not wanting to deny myself the pleasure of those decks.. And it turns out there's a number of decks with both pips and a little illustration-like the Nigel Jackson, and the Old english and Medieval Cat--And then I fell in love with some decks with slightly decorated pips, The Courtney Davis Celtic, for one --I couldn't resist their majors...and just recently I have been taken with (gulp) some Marseille-style decks--the de Nys and the Bizarro and OMG, the Hadar- -....and now I'll have to learn to read those minors, too. It's a down hill slide, I know, and purists laugh at me, besides.
And yes, the Lunatic, it's amazing....had to get the lunatic, Manga or no..I'll read with it when I get the smaller version, now I just loooook at it, and make up stories about the people in it.

I think this happen to a lot of us---I'd hate to think I was a lone tarot lunitic.:bugeyed:

SunChariot

Probably everyone's tastes change over time. I know when you look at old photos sometimes you wonder what you were thinking to be wearing that outfit or hairstyle. LOL

I still love all the decks I have, but I found myself lately buying the Housewives Tarot. I have seen in many times and never though much of it. I did not think I would ever want one, then suddenly when I least expected it, suddenly I knew i had to have it.

Babs

skinofthesoul

Eden Tarot!

redflash... I've also found I've changed my mind regarding the number or type of tarot decks I'd buy ever since I've come to AT :) But apart from that, if you want to get rid of your Eden, I'd very much like to have it! :D

skinofthesoul~