Chariot & Antimony

Teheuti

I've long heard of a connection between the Chariot card and the metalloid Antimony but just started looking more closely into it. Here are a few things I've found:

• The metal Antimony was described alchemically as a triumphal chariot. Waite translated the 15th century Triumphal Chariot of Antimony by the alchemist Basilius Valentinus. Annotator Theodore Kirkringus explained the connection: “Nature seems to have made choice of this Mineral, therein to hide all her Treasures. Therefore not without reason hath Basilius made for it a Triumphant Chariot, which is daily enriched with Spoyls taken from the Camps of Ignorance.” In his introduction, Waite wrote: " This illuminating work reveals the secrets of the Spagyric Art [e.g. alchemy]; the Grand Magisterium, the true and Universal Medicine, the Tinctures which transmute metals, and other deep mysteries that make part of the Sacramentum Regis.”

Aside: Sacramentum Regis, or “King’s Secret” was the magical name chosen by Waite in the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and so the importance of this card to Waite cannot be overestimated. Sacramentum Regis comes from the Biblical Book of Tobias 12:7. “For it is good to hide the secrets of a king, but honorable to reveal and confess the works of God.” Etenim sacramentum regis abscondere bonum est opera autem Dei revelare et confiteri honorificum est.

This 19th century description of antimony makes clear the blue-white coloring surrounding the charioteer and his fusion into the cubic base of the chariot: “ANTIMONY, the type hard'ning metalloid . . . has a bluish white hue; 'Tis lustrous, brittle, and easy to fuse” (J. Carrington Sellars, Chemistianity).

Furthermore, as relates to the 8-pt Star in the charioteer's crown: the metal Antimony can assume a crystalline star formation known as the Star Regulus, which Waite described as, “Nature regarded as a volatile spirit animated by the Universal Spirit.” According to the Triumphal Chariot of Antimony, “Among all Metals and Minerals, there is not any Substance known, which contains so much of a Celestial Spirit, and hath so great Sympathy with the Stars, as Antimony.” Hence the star's role as a "guiding light."

Anybody have any other information? Does anyone know where the association between antimony and the Chariot tarot card first appears?

Mary

Skydancer

I surely can't answer your questions, Mary, but I noticed only this past week that in the RWS the charioteer was indeed embedded in the base of the chariot. And I wondered what that was all about!!

In other decks he is freely sitting or standing in it, a meaning I understand better than what you've described here.

(note to self: must try to interpret what she said)

*S*