Christmas gifts??

Yellow_Munky

Not sure if if this is the right place to put this thread here, but anyway I am planning to buy two decks for two very good friends of mine.

I was thinking of buying the Samurai Tarot (Lo Scarabeo) for a friend who is part Japanese. She is into Japanese things right now, but i think she is starting to get into Tarot a little.........

For my other friend, I was thinking of the Vampire Tarot because she is hugely a big fan of Anne Rice and she loves anything to do with vampires and plus, she is a bit gothic. ^^

Do anybody know where to purchase these two decks for a good price? I need to save a bit money for this christmas, and so I have to bargain down some prices for the gifts that I want to get for my friends.

Any suggestions?

Also are any of you are planning to give tarot cards as gifts to family or friends? If so, what kind of decks and why? Thanks!

Yellow Munky

Papageno

Fulgour has been touting Overstock.com and after a quick look I have to agree their prices are rock bottom and the selection's not bad either.

chrisam-crystals

ebay or amazon's marketplace?

i get quite a lot of great bargains from both sites. :D

jue xx

Glass Owl

Yellow_Munky said:
I was thinking of buying the Samurai Tarot (Lo Scarabeo) for a friend who is part Japanese. She is into Japanese things right now, but i think she is starting to get into Tarot a little......
I don't have the Samurai deck, but I would strongly suggest that you check out the LS Manga deck. I love every card in this deck. You can check out some images here at AT: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/manga-minetti/ I bought mine at Amazon. If you use the link provided at the page I gave you, it helps support AT.

ilweran

Yellow_Munky said:
Also are any of you are planning to give tarot cards as gifts to family or friends? If so, what kind of decks and why? Thanks!
I'm giving a friend the Arthurian Tarot by John Matthews. She's in interested in Arthurian myth, likes tarot, and most importantly told me she wanted it :D

Disa

I'm getting the LS Manga deck for my teenage daughter. She loves anything to do with Asian culture, she loves Manga art and draws Manga characters. She has a dragon deck but it's difficult for her to read. She was showing some interest in the Tarot when she picked out the dragon deck and a book- Tarot for Teens so I'm hoping this will be something she relates to better than the dragon deck... If nothing else, she can add it to her "all things Asian" collection.

Good luck on your quest. And Happy Holidays to you all xoxox

Disa

a_shikhs

Yellow_Munky said:
For my other friend, I was thinking of the Vampire Tarot because she is hugely a big fan of Anne Rice and she loves anything to do with vampires and plus, she is a bit gothic. ^^

If your friend likes gothic stuff, I would suggest The Gothic Tarot by Joseph Vargo. Its a beautiful and a very powerful deck and perfect for a goth. :D

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gothic-vargo/

Glass Owl

Disa said:
I'm getting the LS Manga deck for my teenage daughter. She loves anything to do with Asian culture, she loves Manga art and draws Manga characters.
I think she will really enjoy this deck, even if it is just for its beauty. The cards have imagery that looks like it is just a moment captured in a huge epic story. I love that element. If your daughter also writes stories this deck would be terrific for that.

Just so you know, this deck is a bit different in that it has the genders reversed. For instance, the Hanged Man is the Hanged Woman, etc. But I don't see this as distracting at all. In fact, I really like the changes.

Grizabella

a_shikhs said:
If your friend likes gothic stuff, I would suggest The Gothic Tarot by Joseph Vargo. Its a beautiful and a very powerful deck and perfect for a goth. :D

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gothic-vargo/

The Vargo Gothic is a beautiful, elegant dark deck, but two things should be considered. First thing is that the card stock is very thin and flimsy. Second thing is that it's bigger than a lot of decks and that plus the thin card stock makes it hard to shuffle for someone with smallish hands. Also, for a beginner, I don't think it would make a very good deck.

The Natalie Hertz is a better size and better card stock, but only has a little white book with it---no bigger book---and even for a medium to advanced reader, it takes some extra learning. I don't think I'd recommend it for a beginner.

The Lo Scarabeo deck might be easier to learn, but I'm not a fan of Lo Scarabeo decks, so I've never had that one. I guess it might be better for a beginner but I'm not sure.

To be honest, I'd stick with one of the Rider-Waite type decks for a beginning reader. Standard Rider-Waite, Universal Waite, Robin Wood, ------possibly the Morgan Greer, Hanson Roberts, maybe Diamond-----those are some suggestions. As pretty as themed decks are, they're not the best for learning.