Chrysalis Tarot Deck: really random question

Sibylline

I just received this most magical deck, and I immediately bonded with it. But there's one thing that is poking at me that maybe the deck creator, artist, or anyone who's a scholar of ancient languages can answer...

On the Ace of Scrolls, the scroll contains, what I think, is Cuneiform! Is there a translation somewhere out there? I went over the LWB and the Chrysalis tarot blog (which is fabulous, btw) and I came up with nothing.

I'm not looking for an interpretation of the card. I'm just a giant nerd who is fascinated with ancient languages; therefore, I'm dying to know what the Cuneiform says. Can anyone point me in the right direction, pretty please?

Here's the card on the Chrysalis Tarot blog: http://www.chrysalistarot.com/search/label/Ace of Scrolls

Love and blessings :)

nisaba

I'll be watching this thread ...

Toney

Ace of Scrolls

I checked with Holly again just to make sure I remembered the answer to this question correctly. No, the glyphs on the card do not, as far as we know, translate.

These symbols can be considered food for thought to inspire your intuition and imagination.

They also point to deeper meanings, sibylline messages stored in the unconscious mind and/or ancient wisdom that can be gleaned from all the Scroll pip cards or particular readings.

I would suggest if the Ace of Scrolls does appear in a reading, to journal the reading and later reflect/meditate upon it and make notes. The Raven may well be trying to pry something loose from your unconscious mind.

Thanks for your question and comments, Sibylline.

cSpaceDiva

Interesting. This thread reminds me of a frustration that I sometimes experience in dreams--not being able to read! I will come upon a posted sign or a letter and I simply can't decipher what it says. It's very strange, not like it's in a foreign language or I don't know how to read, just that language takes on a different form in dreams, visual symbols and such. Maybe this is a reminder to me to 'read' more into visual cues. Tarot, I think, speaks in a language similar to dreams. One interpretation of this card could be as a reminder that communication comes in many different forms, not just the written and spoken languages that we use most often, but also body language, symbols, and visions, and that we should be paying attention to all of those.

donnalee

That scroll looks like the glyphs were written by the ravens themselves. Cool--and certainly open for intuition, since maybe it'd change each time it's read or something--why not?

Sibylline

I checked with Holly again just to make sure I remembered the answer to this question correctly. No, the glyphs on the card do not, as far as we know, translate.

These symbols can be considered food for thought to inspire your intuition and imagination.

They also point to deeper meanings, sibylline messages stored in the unconscious mind and/or ancient wisdom that can be gleaned from all the Scroll pip cards or particular readings.

I would suggest if the Ace of Scrolls does appear in a reading, to journal the reading and later reflect/meditate upon it and make notes. The Raven may well be trying to pry something loose from your unconscious mind.

Thanks for your question and comments, Sibylline.

Thank you, Toney, for your swift reply and for checking with Holly. I very much appreciate your thoughtful response. :)

I actually like the fact that the glyphs on the Ace of Scrolls are untranslatable in the academic sense. I think it makes the card that much more interesting and evocative. I anticipate the raven is going to help me unlock a few things for me (like why I saw Cuneiform in the first place). I definitely feel like I'm have an ace of scrolls "aha" moment. How fitting!

I also have to take a second to express appreciation for the accurate Middle Egyptian hieroglyphs on the Ma'at card. I squealed with delight when I saw that coupled with some of the well-researched ancient Egyptian images in the card. So much to meditate on.

Many thanks to you and to the artist for such a fantastic deck.

Somewhat Nerdy P.S.: For those who don't know it, here's one way to spell "Ma'at" in Middle Egyptian hieroglyphics. http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/maat.html

You'll see it matches up with the hieroglyphs in the Ma'at card in the Chrysalis Tarot which tells me there was awesome research involved.
http://www.chrysalistarot.com/search/label/Maat

The signs in the hieroglyphs sound out her name. Reading from left to right, the first column is pronounced "Ma-ah" and the half circle adds the "t" sound. The last symbol on the right is a determinative which basically tells the reader that the signs are speaking about a goddess...in particular, Ma'at.