Cleaning Deck Edges

The_Hydra

Can I use a Magic eraser to clean the edges or would that be a huge mistake? I rather not go out and buy a new duplicate deck if I don't have to.

Abrac

You could experiment on an old deck of playing cards. It should be okay if you use it sparingly (i.e. not too wet), but testing is always a good idea. :)

Laura Borealis

Magic Eraser might do it. It's a micro-abrasive. I have only used them wet, though. Worth a try on your deck edges but I would do it dry, of course. Cards and water don't mix!

But if it were me, I'd try an artist eraser first.
1. because I have them around and
2. they are made to use dry.

There are different types of erasers. I'd probably try a kneaded eraser or a gum eraser first. Less likely to tear up the surface of the card. If the marks are stubborn, maybe the vinyl eraser, but carefully.

https://keetonsonline.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/5-types-of-erasers-every-artist-should-know-about/

I've heard of people sanding the edges of decks, though that was to smooth rough edges. Still, a very fine grit sandpaper might do the trick. Or it might fray the edges. I don't know if I'd take the risk.

The_Hydra

Yeah I was thinking of using it on my old Radiant RWS with a barely moist eraser sponge. I'll let you guys know how it goes in case someone else wants to try it. I'm just worried about the decks that aren't heavily laminated :( I'll buy a big kneaded eraser and see how that works too. Thanks guys!

rwcarter

I would think you'd have to clean the edges with the magic eraser in much the same way that you would ink the edges with an ink pad - one at a time, glancing the edges lightly and quickly over the damp eraser so that you only get the edge and you don't get bleed over onto the card fronts and backs. So 78 cards x 4 edges = 312 if my math hasn't failed me.

If you rub the whole deck over the eraser or the eraser over the whole deck, unless you've got the cards in a vice grip, there will be gaps that will allow bleed onto the fronts and backs.

Rodney

The_Hydra

I would think you'd have to clean the edges with the magic eraser in much the same way that you would ink the edges with an ink pad - one at a time, glancing the edges lightly and quickly over the damp eraser so that you only get the edge and you don't get bleed over onto the card fronts and backs. So 78 cards x 4 edges = 312 if my math hasn't failed me.

If you rub the whole deck over the eraser or the eraser over the whole deck, unless you've got the cards in a vice grip, there will be gaps that will allow bleed onto the fronts and backs.

Rodney
This is a good tip because I was about to rub the whole thing down all at once. Gentle bath it is.

FLizarraga

As one who has used sandpaper on decks' edges, I'd go first for the artist erasers that Laura recommends. I'm guessing they are a lot gentler than the magic eraser or the sandpaper. Sandpaper is great for smoothing ragged edges, but I wouldn't risk it on smooth edges.

Ayram

Paint stores sell a "sponge" of sorts (very dense and firm) that works more like an eraser. Not sure the name (and for all I know, it could be called Magic Eraser) but I was told to use it DRY on my wallpaper that had become slightly dirty and stained with soot or something over a hundred years. The whole point was not to get it wet. Anyway it took a little time but I did a section from just rubbing at it and it became much brighter/lighter. It was a lot like using an eraser for art. But just less abrasive. So call your local paint store and ask if they have such a product. If you do go the real eraser route I would get one of the higher-end artist's kind that is gray and stretchy like Silly Putty after you knead it up in your hand. Those are pretty amazing erasers and a lot more gentle while at the same time "cleaning" much more quickly.