Cleansing herbs or teas?

Elysianfaery

I'm looking for something to drink to get rid of toxins in the body...and I'm not speaking code for drugs..lol

Is there a tea or something similiar that you can recommend? I live in an area where they use pesticides a lot. I'm going to have to stop drinking our tap water because even a water filter won't get whatever's in our water out. It leaves a weird white residue in our ice trays (this is after filtering the water!)...not good.

Elnor

Green teas are supposed to be very good for de-toxing; I don't know which brands you can get in the US, but Clipper do a very nice range...I found this link for their American distributor:

http://www.internaturalfoods.com/Clipper/Clipper.html

I get the Fairtrade one, and really like it.

Elnor

Sweet Irish Angel

Hey

I love the clipper range and also twinnings, they have lots of green teas with different flavours also,
I adore greentea with pineapple and also green tea with jasmine

buddhagoddess

Here are a couple of tea "recipes" that I have used in the past for detoxifying the body. They are both pretty tasty too (althought a little honey can sweeten them up).

Digestive Cleansing Tea (ayurvedic recipe)

5 cups boiling water
1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger (or a 1 inch piece of ginger)
1 Tablespoon tumeric
1 Tablespoon licorice root

Add water to herbs. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Strain and drink.

Ginger - breaks up Ama (aka "physical and energetic gunk in the body)
Tumeric - purifies the blood
Licorice - calms inflammation (and a mild natural sweetener)

I used to buy in bulk a tea called "Puritea" by a company called Uniteas. I can't find it anymore. I took the container with the ingredient list and made my own batch (basically using equal parts, but you can experiment). I looked up the properties of them in the New Age Herbalist (great book). Here's what's in it:

peppermint - digestion/breath cleanser
red clover - blood purifier
fennel seed - blood sugar stabilizer
licorice root - nourishes adrenal glands
cleavers - kidney cleanser
dandelion root - detoxifies (also acts as a slight diuretic)
Oregon grape root - liver cleanser (you could also use milk thistle)
Burdock root - fat breaker
butternut bark - colon cleanser
chickweed - contains lecithin (helps with fat and cholesterol deposits)
parsley root - kidney cleanser
nettles - kidney cleanser

I agree that green tea is an all-around good cleanser because of it's "green" properties (like wheat grass and parsley). It also has a great amount of antioxidants. I also like African Red Bush Tea (aka Rooibos). It has a naturally slightly sweet taste and not quite as tannic tasting as green tea. Plain old ginger tea with a slice of lemon is also very good (no sugar though - it just promotes growth of "junk" in your systems and I think dampens the energy of the tea). When I have a bout of indigestion, hot water with lemon also works. The lemon as an astringent (love that pucker!) helps to activate the body's natural digestive and detox "juices".

Hope this helps.

Horace

Hi

I would recommend a good liver cleanse. The liver filters toxins also. In the summer time I just chew on dandelion stems but if you live where there are pesticides, buy organic dried. Has a horrible taste but sweeten the tea or drink only spoonfuls, making a cup a day. Calendula (marigold) is a palatable tea you just put dried in an infuser and steep for about 10 minutes. Cover the cup because a lot of the volatile oils of marigold are easily lost in the steam. If you check for it on herbal sites, you'll see its benefits. Also try horsetail. I collect it fresh but when lazy, will buy organic. But with most natural herbals, it takes many weeks for the treatment to work. If you buy capsules of an organic herb, like milk thistle, which is where you should start, don't look for any sign of results until the bottle is done. When you buy tea from the grocery store shelf, I feel the health properties aren't in sufficient quantities to be of quick benefit. But there's 3 or 4 Twinings in my cupboard because they taste good! also, don't forget the kidneys. a beer a week is what my herbalist suggested. it's the hops... I'm good till age 300! :) Hh

Elysianfaery

Ooohh..thanks guys! I'm going to start scouring the internet for the teas & herbs.

Elnor & Sweet Irish Angel - Thanks for the information about green tea. I have some, but it's not organic. I'll try out the Clipper. :)

buddhagoddess - I think I am gonna have to cut out sugars because I do feel like it effects my system. I've been trying Stevia, and it's pretty tasty. I used to use Splenda, but I heard weird things about the chemical process they use to make it.

Horace - A beer a week - I can handle that! teehee

I knew this board would be able to help me out! :D

Sweet Irish Angel

Hey

your welcome, you will love it, its addictive lol :D

some lovey different ones

scorpio

Clay is really great for taking toxins and parasites out of the body, pretty inexpensive also, check out www.aboutclay.com

scorpio

Agave and grade B or C maple syrup are great alternatives to sugar in your teas