Comforting thoughts

Lorrie

As a new member to the site, I've been looking on here to see what information I can gain (as I don't usually appreciate I may have pearls of wisdom tucked away to offer!)
What I'm starting to learn is that it's OK not to be perfect. I may not have astounding knowledge to depart to others, but I think it's all to do with the pressure we put on ourselves for results - I'm trying to put belief in myself, as all too often I play myself down. I'm in a bit of a Hanged Man/Hermit position at present, where I know that I can and could give a simple, but confident reading to others if only I would let myself.
It's that initial scary moment when the cards have been chosen and just turned over - and you look at them!!! - and the person you're reading for looks at you!!!! (expectantly). Perhaps it's the responsibility I feel - it's not a question about the cards being right or wrong, as it's a certainty they were picked for a reason.
Perhaps it does just come down to 'practise make perfect', or is it like the Tarot - a life long journey?

Bean Feasa

Hi Lorrie,
Welcome to Aeclectic. I certainly agree with you that there is such a range of people and approaches, at so many different stages in their Tarot journeys on here that you do start to relax and feel okay with whatever your own stage is. It's a great place to hang out :)
Your post is an interesting one. You sound pretty sure that you could give that clear and confident reading, but you clearly fear the step out into the unknown, that leap in the dark that needs to be taken. Somehow the energy of the Fool springs to mind. Are you perhaps a little afraid of looking foolish? What's the worst that could happen? You might fall flat on your face (in which case you can always get up and get going again) or you might step into a brave new world.
Perhaps you could start by reading for someone you're very close to and who has a supportive attitude towards you (and towards the Tarot itself). Explain to them you're just starting, portray it as a practice reading, even as just a bit of fun. Or have a try at reading in the reading exchange here, when you've reached the requisite number of posts.
All that said, I'm a fine one to talk, and I'm probably addressing myself as much as you, since so far I've only read for myself and my nearest and dearest friends.
But that's okay, 'cos little by little I'm getting there ;)
blessings

okieinalaska

Hi Lorrie~! Welcome to AT. : )

I have the same problem, the only thing to do is just jump right in. : ) Join the newbie reading exchange that has sign ups going on right now.

: )

Amy

PlatinumDove

Hey Lorrie, as soon as you hit 25 posts & 1 week of membership or become a subscriber, you'll be able to access the readings exchange, where the newbie exchange groups are. Until then, feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Kiama

Lorrie said:
Perhaps it's the responsibility I feel - it's not a question about the cards being right or wrong, as it's a certainty they were picked for a reason.

I understand this, and still get this feeling everytime I read for somebody. I think maybe it's a good feeling to have - this constant knowledge that yes, this IS a big responsibility. It means that when you read you are more compassionate and caring to the questioner, and you try harder to communicate with them and help them.

This isn't to say that Tarot reading should be a struggle... I know that communication, compassion, etc, can come very easily, and the more practice you get at reading for others the better you'll become at reading the cards in a helpful manner... But at the same time it would be a shame (I think) to not realize how much effect a Tarot reading can have, and therefore to do it flippantly without caring.

Blessings,

Kiama

crazelion

Welcome to group