Court Cards as Events? Please help a newbie

Simple

Hi,
I'm new to tarot and I'm using Sun and Moon tarot deck. Since it's a cross of RWS and Thoth tarot, I'm confused with the meanings for court cards. Their images are simpler than RWS and have less symbols than Thoth so I'm pulling my hairs on imagination. From most resources, they're interpreted with Thoth's meaning for the court cards (b/c they're labeled almost the same as Princess/Prince/Queen/King). However, I can't find meanings for events? I know for RWS, Page typically means news or message and Knight typically means travel. What about Princess and Prince since they seem to be different? Both Queen and King are accomplishment, then what would be their differences besides masculinity vs femininity?
Please help me or point me to the right direction.
Thank you everyone in advance!

exmuse

Hi,
I'm new to tarot and I'm using Sun and Moon tarot deck. Since it's a cross of RWS and Thoth tarot, I'm confused with the meanings for court cards. Their images are simpler than RWS and have less symbols than Thoth so I'm pulling my hairs on imagination. From most resources, they're interpreted with Thoth's meaning for the court cards (b/c they're labeled almost the same as Princess/Prince/Queen/King). However, I can't find meanings for events? I know for RWS, Page typically means news or message and Knight typically means travel. What about Princess and Prince since they seem to be different? Both Queen and King are accomplishment, then what would be their differences besides masculinity vs femininity?
Please help me or point me to the right direction.
Thank you everyone in advance!

Why are you using a Thoth like deck if you are a beginner? Is there a particular reason you chose that deck?

I'm not the most experienced person here, not by a long shot. But as a beginner I find Thoth a little over my head. And, little is an understatement! And, also think I'm a quite capable person. That is, I know I can learn Thoth eventually, but not just yet...

I do own a Thoth deck and Hermetic deck because I like the intricate, highly symbolic imagery and I'm interested in the tree of life and kaballistic thought. I'm not familiar with the Sun and Moon hybrid deck though. I believe there's another forum that deals exclusively with decks. Perhaps someone here can point you in the right direction.

Why not stick with a more traditional deck until you learn all of the ropes or at least have the basics down?

If you are still interested in Thoth interpretation, I found a few interesting websites. Again, I found them a little to esoteric to me. Although the origin of various symbology and it's correspondence to the tree of life I find fascinating. It's baby steps though. Good luck!

Simple

Thank you Exmuse for replying.

I had Wildwood and Revelations decks before. I love Wildwood but after certain time, I felt it was time to move on so I donated both decks.

I was intimidated with the Thoth deck also that's why I have never touched them. I found Sun and Moon deck pictures simple and too cute. I didn't look at every card before buying, I only saw the box. I knew about it being a hybrid deck later on. I have connection with it and love its images, very simple and vibrant but it leaves me scratching heads for the other meanings.

I read Thoth cards' meaning online and found them fascinating. I still can't find meaning for outcome or events for court cards with Thoth so if you have some helpful links, please share. I'd greatly appreciate your help :D

Teheuti

Hi,
I'm new to tarot and I'm using Sun and Moon tarot deck. Since it's a cross of RWS and Thoth tarot, I'm confused with the meanings for court cards.
Events are mostly depicted by the Minor Arcana number cards and sometimes the Majors. While Pages can be messages, study or something new, they're more about messengers and being a novice. Likewise, Knights can be travel, but it is more about being a traveler (or meeting one) or revolutionizing something. Queens tend to direct their expertise and maturity more inwardly and interpersonally, whereas Kings tend to be more outer and public (but that's not necessarily so).

Court Cards can be styles, levels of maturity and experience, personality characteristics, emotions, internalized voices (like your mother saying 'that dress would look so cute on you'), as well as other people. I like to consider what each court card in a spread would advise about the situation.

Teheuti

I found Sun and Moon deck pictures simple and too cute. I didn't look at every card before buying, I only saw the box. I knew about it being a hybrid deck later on. I have connection with it and love its images, very simple and vibrant but it leaves me scratching heads for the other meanings.
You can't always equate all the court cards from deck-to-deck! Some decks have a Child, Man, Woman, and Elder; or Sage, Sibyl, Seeker and Seer - which really shakes things up. Others alternate male and female figures among the Pages and Knights. It's best to take each deck on its own merits. If you were acting like each of the court cards in your deck, how would you be acting? What would you be doing?

Check out the book I wrote with Tom Little: Understanding the Tarot Court. It presents lots of ways of working with Court Cards and goes into how the different court card systems can be viewed. There are also meanings in the back of the book in a variety of categories for each Court Card: Roles, Masks, Subpersonalities; Personality Styles and Values; Stresses, Problems, Weaknesses; Sample Occupations; Events, Situations, Activities; Advice; Traditional Meanings (upright and reversed).

Simple

Thank you Teheuti for replying.

I should take a look at the tarot again and see what they're trying to tell me. Your advice is really helpful.

Thank you!