Covered/altered card backs?

bonebeach

Okay, I've been searching for DAAAYS (read: two days, idly, on and off) trying to find a post for reference. It was in one of the altered or trimmed deck threads (I think), and some genius person had somehow completely covered the back of their cards. The deck was thicker, obviously, but they seemed pleased with it.

Has anyone else done this, with contact paper or anything else? I'm about to trim my Dali deck because it's JUST a tiny bit too big for me to comfortably shuffle, and I figured that if I was going to change the backs, it would make more sense to do that before I trimmed. It's a very thin deck that I think could stand to be thicker, though I don't mind the designs of the back too much (it's Dali signatures over and over).

The problem: I'm a dedicated riffle shuffler. I don't use this deck much now because it's beautiful but too big, but I know I won't use it at ALL if I can't riffle the damned thing.

So anyone who has covered their card backs somehow:

1) How's it holding up?

2) What did you use?

3) CAN YOU RIFFLE THE DECK?!

Thanks so much!

Nica

I'm really surprised that nobody has ventured to contribute their experience with card backs that have been altered. It is a subject of interest for me as well; I don't always vibe with the card backs on my deck and so I feel the need to paint them somehow, but have never done it before. Tips from people with experience would be invaluable for this.

Manifesting interest and curiosity in this subject as well.

feynrir

I'm going to go ahead and unabashedly bump this up! I, too, have wanted to do this.

Hoping to learn something from someone. :) Thank you.

lark

I have done it with contact paper.

lark

They shuffle like butter...the only issue I have had is sometimes they get a bow in the middle, so put them under some heavy books for a few days.

LindaMechele

Just thought I'd mention to NOT use a Sharpie permanent marker in case anyone here or reading along was thinking of trying it. I experimented with using it to cover the backs and edging of a Gypsy Witch and it rubs off on the card faces after just a few dozen shuffles.

It's good for edging if you're careful (I wasn't on the Gypsy Witch - did it better on a DaVinci), but not so much for big expanses like a back where the cards touching it when stacked are white faces.

lark

Just thought I'd mention to NOT use a Sharpie permanent marker in case anyone here or reading along was thinking of trying it. I experimented with using it to cover the backs and edging of a Gypsy Witch and it rubs off on the card faces after just a few dozen shuffles.

It's good for edging if you're careful (I wasn't on the Gypsy Witch - did it better on a DaVinci), but not so much for big expanses like a back where the cards touching it when stacked are white faces.
Yes, I found for edge treatment with black that a marker called Avery Marks A Lot is a good one it doesn't smudge, is acid free, and has a chisel tip..I had to order it on amazon though I couldn't find it in the store anywhere.
I never used it to block in a card back though.

If you cards are very thin you can also put a clear contact paper on the front, along with the designed contact paper on the back...make sure it is the non shinny matt finish though.