Creating a unique deck

themagicwand

Hi there. Been lurking for a while. Thought it was time I added to the sum of knowledge!

I have been reading tarot for around 20 years now, however I have continually been searching for the one deck that I felt fully 100% comfortable with. I have generally used Rider Waite and those derived from Rider Waites.

Recently I ordered and received the Victorian Romantic deck and the Bohemian Gothic deck. The Victorian Romantic deck held a spell on me immediately and I felt as though I had finally found the deck I have been looking for. However I absolutely adore the Gothic deck and there were one or two cards from the Gothic deck that I just couldn't imagine not using in my readings.

An awful, terrible idea entered my head. How about taking the cards I wanted from the Gothic deck and placing them in the Romantic deck (after removing their equivalent in the Romantic deck obviously). At first I thought this was a silly idea. Then I thought that maybe, just maybe I could do it. So I talked to people I knew and they all agreed that it was a great way to make a unique, individual deck. So I went ahead and did it. I'm delighted with the results and have been using my new deck (and I do now see it as "my deck") professionally with great results.

I just wondered what your thoughts were on this? Of course this is only possible because both decks are the same size, but apparently centuries ago decks would often be made up of cards collected "along the way".

Sinduction

I think it's a wonderful idea! I'd do it as well if I had the VR. :D

I've wanted to do that very thing with other decks but they never match up size wise.

rwcarter

I've had a similar thought with the VR and BG. Not mixing and matching to form a "dream" deck, but definitely using both decks together in readings. If would be quite interesting if the same card from each deck came up in the same reading.

GryffinSong

How do you decide when to stop shuffling, since you can see that those two cards are from the other deck? That would be my only question about mixing. I guess I'd have to shuffle with my eyes closed. :D

rwcarter

I always shuffle and cut with my eyes closed.

themagicwand

I always have the sitter shuffle & cut the cards, so the different backs aren't really an issue. I sometimes explain afterwards why some cards have different backs to others, but as the Romantic and Gothic decks are almost sisters anyway they do fit together well. To me, it feels right.

Out of interest, there are actually 10 cards from the Gothic deck in my new deck. A lot of them are Swords - Ace, King, Page, 10 and 3 - plus the 3 wands, 2 & 9 cups, wheel of fortune, and the world.

AJ

You *have* been lurking awhile :) come around more often! And Welcome~
Cute too...nice website ;)

themagicwand

Oh, now I'm here you'll not get rid of me easily!! It's nice to find an intelligent forum full of like-minded folk.