Creating reversals

goddessof1967

For those of you who read with reversals, how do you create them in your deck?

Do you ask a question, then randomly reverse so many cards?
OR
Do you take out a chunk of cards and put them back in randomly and reversed.
OR
Do you put your deck on the floor and mish-mash them before you pick them up to shuffle?

AND

For each new reading, do you upright them all and do this practice again or do you leave the reversed ones in there with the hope that they will upright themselves in time and others will reverse over time?

I have been doing as a friend does and with each new question I randomly reverse 7 cards then shuffle again. After the question has been answered I upright them and start again for the next question.

SunChariot

After asking the questioin, I personally take a section of the deck that feels like the right amont, the size of it differs from reading to reading, and I reverse that section and at it to the back of the deck and shuffle a lot. :grin:

I personally do not try to read the card reversed. Once all the cards have been placed I write down which card came up where and which were reversed, them I upright the reversed ones before I read, remembering to add in the meaning of them being reversed whatever that is in that reading ( I vary between three different ways of using reversals).

Yes, I peronally upright all the cards in the deck so they are all facing the same way before I put the deck away again. This is because I do not use reversals each time. I only use them like maybe 50% of the time, so it's annoying to pull out a deck where half the cards are reversed when you do not want to use reversals. So I upright them all before I put the deck away.

Babs

rwcarter

When I used reversals (I currently don't), I would introduce them into the deck by shuffling 7 times with my eyes closed, cutting from right to left with my non-dominant hand into three stacks and then still with my eyes closed, select one of the stacks. I would take that stack, reverse the whole thing and then place the rightmost stack under that one and then the remaining stack under the other two. I would repeat this process two more times for a total of 21 shuffles.

After a reading, I would not re-right any reversed cards. I believe that if a given card that is currently reversed in the deck is meant to be upright for my next reading, then my shuffling process would ensure that happens. The same goes for an upright card that would need to be reversed in the next reading.

I know you'll get lots more answers, many of them different. But I bet we'll all agree on one point - you should do what feels right for you. ;)

Rodney

sleepingcat

every third shuffle I rotate the half-a-cut-deck 180 degrees and shuffle it back together.

I leave the deck out of order and with reversals when not in use.

Now this actually usually gets me about 50% upright, and a good distribution.

Except the lunatic deck.

I'm lucky to have 6-8 cards reversed when I'm done. That deck does not like reversals at all and consistently breaks statistics to say so.

rwcarter

sleepingcat said:
That deck does not like reversals at all and consistently breaks statistics to say so.
Some decks like reversals and some don't. Although I generally don't use reversals, if I were going to use the Revelations Tarot that has built in reversals, I would use them. If I were using a deck with keywords in the upright and reversed positions, I would use reversals. Or if the deck let me know that it wanted me to use reversals (like by sneaking one or more in when I wasn't watching :laugh:) then I'd use reversals. Also there are spreads that require the use of reversals, so if I was using one of them, I'd obviously use reversals.

I generally don't use reversals, but I won't say that I'll never use them.

Rodney