Deck in a wooden box.

robinchun

While on holiday in Tennerife I bought a beautiful wooden box,do'nt know what wood but a sticker on the bottom says Made in India,to keep my favorite deck in,I always keep my decks in their tuck boxes,question ..will this sort of box tarnish my cards? I have put in a satchet of silica gel.
Robin

shadowdancer

I think some members have found the oil/finish of the box has tarnished before, but I have not had a problem.

Mine are kept as far as possible in their original box then in a pouch, then all decks are stored in a large pine chest. so far no staining that I have seen.

Hopefully others can advise better for you on this one.

Davina

Elven

Hi :)

It will depend if the box has a varnish, wax, paint or a dye on it, if it has been finished in some way.

I recommend lining the inside of the box with material. It can be a thick felt - velvet, couderoy, whatever you like - but its a barrier to the wood.

You can either cut and glue it straight onto the inside, or make material covered panels and position or glue them in - all sides, the base and the top of the lid as well.

I keep my Tarot decks in a bag and then place them in a the boxes (mostly) - both bag and material match, so its easy to know which is 'their' specific home.

This keeps them dry, and if they travel with you in the box, the padded helps keep them from bashing around inside.

Choose an acid free glue, there are some great cheap non toxic glues from craft stores.

You can place a sachet of dried herbs, or a few stem of lavender, or a small patch with a few drops of your favourite essential oil in there to perfume/cleanse/ the box too - even attatch a crystal to the lid.

The box below I lined with felt.

Blessings Elven x

Attachments

• Butterfly Box Ble & Gold sml open lid side view on purple cloth_1_1_1.jpg
    Butterfly Box Ble & Gold sml open lid side view on purple cloth_1_1_1.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 92

Emily

robinchun said:
While on holiday in Tennerife I bought a beautiful wooden box,do'nt know what wood but a sticker on the bottom says Made in India,to keep my favorite deck in,I always keep my decks in their tuck boxes,question ..will this sort of box tarnish my cards? I have put in a satchet of silica gel.
Robin

Hi Robin,

I don't use wooden boxes now. My Diamond was nearly ruined by one of these boxes. It fitted just right so I only left it in its cardboard box and didn't wrap it and within a few weeks a yellow stain had worked its way straight through the outer deck box and onto one of the plain white cards - it is now stained an unpleasant nicotine yellow colour.

I have 4 of these boxes but I've took my decks out of them.

robinchun

Hi Emily,
Thanks for the warning I've actually lined my box with carpet! so as to act as a barrier,as advised by Elven,but I'll be keeping a close eye on it.
Robin

raventepes

I keep a few of my decks in wooden boxes and I haven't had any problems with them yet. They all look like they should...like I just bought them.

solarmoon

the material

This is my first post here.

Hi, um, my deck is in an old second hand painted box and I wrapped in normal purple material. I've had no problems, so I guess I'm not really helping by posting this, but I wanted to know, some people say you should only keep your cards in dark blue or purple silk so that there energies are cleansed or something.
So what do you think?

Bat Chicken

One of my Fantasic Menagerie cards was stained yellow by one of those boxes - it's the kind of wood. Fortunately it was the cover card - not one of the main cards. Not all boxes will do it. The antique ones don't seem to.(Oil must have 'dried') I have two of the new ones (made in India) and I keep the cards well wrapped now. They are beautiful!