Devl & Heirophant ~ obstacles?

moonpixie

These 2 cards came up in the position relating to why a new relationship didn't work out (i.e, what was the crux of the problem/obstacles?).

Does this look like one or both parties are married?

Or, that there is an unhealthy or unwanted attachment going on somewhere?

Any immediate thoughts with this combo relating to an obstacle that hinders progession?

Zechariah13

the Hierophant can often represent systems or societal structures, so combing it with the devil could represent being obsessed with convention and "normal/proper" to the point of being a hindrance. Conversely, it could also represent a refusal to submit or conform to any type of cnvetion whatsoever, making a sort of lack of foundation

BUt thats just my opinion

PAMUYA

Devil - obsessive, the want to control: hierophant: traditions of culture-

An obstacle in a relationship with these two cards I get the felling that one of the persons involved is obsessed with getting married, the other party may not be ready for such a big commitment.

Grizabella

Devil - obsessive, the want to control: hierophant: traditions of culture-

An obstacle in a relationship with these two cards I get the felling that one of the persons involved is obsessed with getting married, the other party may not be ready for such a big commitment.

Yes, that's what I saw, too. It can present a big problem in a relationship when one wants marriage and the other doesn't.

It could also mean a relationship where one person is deeply committed to his/her religious beliefs and the other isn't but the committed on insists the other one needs to share the commitment.

caridwen

These 2 cards came up in the position relating to why a new relationship didn't work out (i.e, what was the crux of the problem/obstacles?).

Or, that there is an unhealthy or unwanted attachment going on somewhere?

Any immediate thoughts with this combo relating to an obstacle that hinders progession?

This combination is a ball and chain.

starrystarrynight

Maybe they relate to the parties involved--one relating to each. So, you have a "hierophant"--traditional, conventional conformist to what s/he believes are the proper teachings of society--trying to get with a sexy, tantalizing, obsessive person (Devil) whose belief about proper behavior is much more prurient. (i.e. He had visions of kinky sex, but he just couldn't see her going along with it.)

More broadly, the relationship failed because your personalities clashed. You each wanted different things...

nisaba

"God" and the Devil. These cards are the closest thing the Tarot has to direct opposites.

Perhaps the two people in question are just too different to be able to understand each other on a deeper level.