Different decks and different meanings

bidmeshk

Many times I have seen people on this forum ask " which deck are you using? "
Why is it that? Why does a card's meaning depend on the style of the deck?

SwordOfTruth

Many times I have seen people on this forum ask " which deck are you using? "
Why is it that? Why does a card's meaning depend on the style of the deck?

Because often when interpreting you will reference the actual artwork for clues as to the cards meaning that goes beyond the standard interpretations. My deck has some non-standard imagery and actually it's quite often that the imagery comes into play with my deck to give me an interpretation that is very left field of common knowledge.

Every deck has it's own unique language and so the artwork and the deck used does have a bearing.

JustJazzie

Yes, different decks can have different meanings.

For instance, my guilded tarot has a traditional 5 of wands meaning, however my "wizards tarot" shows a group of people actually working together but not accomplishing much.

there are a few other cards changed in that deck Death becomes transfiguration, and the fool is the initiate. These two are more traditional in meaning, but not exactly the same.

McFaire

Why does a card's meaning depend on the style of the deck?

Many people rely on the pictures (as opposed to memorization) and read intuitively based on what they see in the picture. Differences can be subtle or dramatic. So it's often helpful to see what they are looking at when they are asking about a certain card.