different spreads??

magipixie

Hi all,
I just started learning tarot.....literally, last week! When I introduced myself here I got some good references for reading reversed cards...thanks for that. Today I'm wondering about different spreads, I know Celtic Cross and the three card spread. I was just wondering where to learn more and if there are purposes that certain spreads suit better than others, or if the energy of the person or situation will just tell you which spread to use. Can you tell I'm just giddy with all the questions and ideas and general good juju learning tarot has provided me with. Anyhow, if you can help a hatchling get off the ground I would appreciate it.
Blessed Be, Pixie

Major Tom

Actually, you're in the right place to find a variety of spreads. :)

Please feel free to ask all of your questions.

Why don't you start simply by reading the threads on this board?

Doing so is bound to give you even more questions. :laugh:

wavebreaker

Well, first of all there's this forum! ;)
If you're looking for a spread for a specific situation, e.g. relationships or work, try searching this forum. There have already been a lot of spreads posted, so you may just find what you're looking for. If not, feel free to post asking for a spread for the specific reading you want to do.

Personally, I have a few favourite spreads that I've collected, either from books or the internet or from people here on the forum, that I've written down in my tarot journal. If these don't work, I make up something myself that's more fitting for the situation.

However, if you're still learning, it might be a good idea to stick to just a few spreads for now. Trying loads of new spreads might be a bit confusing. But that's a personal thing of course, if you feel comfortable with trying new spreads, just go ahead! ;)

Trogon

Hi Pixie... I'd have to agree with Tarotlady that sticking with a few, simple spreads might be good for now. Allow yourself to get your feet wet slowly... dip a toe in first before the all-out plunge. ;) Anja's web site has a lot of great spreads for when you're ready to start spreading your wings a bit. I definitely recommend that one as a great resource. And, as already mentioned... this forum is another wonderful resource. Here are a couple of others where I've gotten some good spreads;

http://www.tarotspreads.com/spreads.ads has a lot of good spreads and you can look them up by the number of cards used or by what they'd be useful for.

You might also want to check out http://www.talisman.net/tarot/tarotlay4.txt This is a "Tarot Layouts FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) document - it is in plain text, so is not searchable, but does have a lot of good spreads.

Hope this helps...

magipixie

Thank you all so much!! I finally had time to sit and look through some of the threads ( I have a benevolent, yet demanding dictator living with me in the form of my six month old son!). I found some really interesting spreads, I especially feel drawn to the Moon Spreads that I found, but then I feel especially inspired by all things lunar....thanks so much for all the advice, I'm absolutely in love with this forum!
Blessed Be, Pixie